Re: Indiana Jones and the Scrolls of the Prophet (Corrected and Chapter 4)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by The Man with the Hat from port105.noc.bignet.net on July 17, 1999 at 10:48:02:

In Reply to: Indiana Jones and the Scrolls of the Prophet (A Forum Novel) Chapters 1 - 3 posted by The Man with the Hat on July 16, 1999 at 16:42:41:

: Chapter 1

: Hawaii 1941

: Indiana Jones pulled the Ford up to the guard post of the naval base. A short, stocky lieutenant held out a hand as if to stop the car with his palm like Indy had seen in the serial reels at the local Bijou.
: Indy stopped the car and the officer stepped to the driver's side window.
: "May I help you, Sir?" the young Navy man asked.
: "Professor Jones," Indy said, using his professional name, "here to see Major Cartwright."
: The lieutenant checked a clipboard which, until now, had been cradled in the crook of his left arm. "Major Cartwright. Yes, Sir. The Major is expecting you." He pointed past the gate toward the interior of the installation. "Just follow this street until you can't go any farther, then turn right. You'll see the Major waiting with a vehicle.
: The guard turned on his heel and entered the guard shack, the gate opening a few seconds later. Indy saluted as he drove past.
: Indy easily found the Major standing by a convertible staff car.
: The Ford pulled up and Indy exited, clasping the hand of the Major.
: "Henry," Cartwright said. Indy cringed but didn't correct him. "How the Hell have you been?"
: "Keeping busy," was Indy's response.
: "Yeah, you were always good at that!" The Major said, as he slapped Indy on the back.
: "I know you didn't ask me all the way to Hawaii to talk about what's going on in my life, Tom," Indy said. "What's going on?"
: "I'm glad you asked," Tom Cartwright said. He reached into the back seat of the military convertible and removed a satchel. From the satchel, he took an ugly little idol.
: "What's this?" Indy asked as Tom handed him the statuette.
: "Wikkikkaki," the Major told him."The Hawaiian god of death and destruction."
: "Alright," Indy said. "But why are you giving it to me?"
: "The curse."
: "Curse?"
: "Yes," Cartwright said,"there is a curse upon this idol.If anyone would know what to do with it, you would."
: "Well," Indy started. Suddenly, a buzz could be heard. Indy and Tom both looked and saw several black dots on the horizon.
: "What's that, Tom?" Indy asked.
: "I don't know," Cartwright said, as several sirens started to blare.
: Suddenly, the shapes took on form.
: "The Japs," the Major yelled.
: Bullets struck the ground as the Japanese planes made thier assault.
: Indy sprawled on the hard pavement as hot lead stitched a path near him. He started to get up as the hail of tiny missiles struck his Ford. It exploded in a fireball, sending Indy back to the ground.
: "C'mon," Indy said to Tom when he was finally on his feet. Indy threw the idol into the back seat and hopped behind the wheel.
: Cartwright in the passenger seat, tires squealed as Indy tried to find some cover.
: "There," Indy said as he spotted some huge tanks that might afford him some protection.
: Indy spun the wheel toward the tanks.
: "Not there!" Tom screamed.
: Indy slammed on the brakes.
: Tom answered the unasked question on Indy's face.
: "Fuel farm," he said.
: Indy shoved the car into reverse as a Japanese plane appeared over the tanks. Machineguns blazing, the bullets pinged off the body of Tom's car. The sky was filled with smoke as Indy took the car backward off the dock, the plane flying over them and crashing into a large destroyer.
: The car hit the water like it was a brick wall.
: Indy grabbed the Major's arm, then saw the crimson floating on top the water. The idol was held tightly in his hand.
: "Wikkikkaki," Tom said before sinking under the water,"Wikkikkaki."
: Indy swam to the safety of the dock as the planes flew away.
: Wikkikkaki had been busy today.

: Chapter 2

: "As you know," Indy told his class," war has been declared on Japan. With that in mind, I'd like each of you to write a paper outlining important Japanese archaeological findings.'
: The tension was broken by the ringing of the bell.
: "Remember," Indy said as the students were filing out,"this is on top of your regular assignments."
: A man in a dark suit struggled to make his way through the groaning students. Finally, he made it through and approached Indy.
: "Doctor Jones?" the man inquired.
: "That's right."
: "I am Agent Cyrus," the man said, slipping a card into Indy's palm.
: "I represent a government office."
: "What government?" Indy said, slipping the card into his jacket pocket without looking at it.
: Cyrus chuckled. "Very good," he said. Then he became serious again. "Doctor Jones. We need your help."
: "Yes?"
: "I'm afraid Hitler is once again becoming a pain where a pill won't reach." He laughed at his own joke.
: "I don't think I follow you," Indy said.
: "Have you ever heard of Nostrodamus, Doctor Jones?" the agent asked.
: "Of course. Sixteenth century French prophet with a supposed uncanny ability to predict the future."
: "Not supposed, Doctor Jones," he said. "It has come to our attention, as it has Hitler, that the rise of the Fuhrer is foretold in his prophesy."
: "And what does this have to do with me?" Indy wondered.
: "There is a legend," Cyrus began,"telling the tale that not all Nostrodamus' prophesies have been recorded. It is rumored that many of the scrolls were buried with his body. Hitler believes that he may again be mentioned in some unrecorded text, perhaps telling of his victory in Europe." Cyrus paused, as much for dramatic effect as anything else. "Perhaps, his rule of the world."
: Indy picked up his papers.
: "We can continue this in my office, Mr. Cyrus," Indy said, "I have a few things to take care of before my next class."
: They continued talking as they walked down the hall to Indy's office.
: "Even if I wanted to do this, which I'm not saying I do," Indy said," I just got back from a leave. I don't think I could get another one."
: Cyrus said," It's all been taken care of."
: The pilosophy professor, Doctor Tyree, walked by and smiled at Indy.
: "Have fun on your vacation," the teacher said.
: Indy and Cyrus exchanged glances as they reached the door to Indy's office.
: "Excuse the mess," Indy said as he flicked on the light.
: Indy sat at his desk while Agent Cyrus sat in a chair in front of it.
: "I'm sorry, Mr. Cyrus," Indy said. "I can't think of one good reason why I should do this."
: "Three years ago, Doctor Jones, you infiltrated a castle on the Austria, Germany border, did you not?"
: "Yes, Castle Brunwald."
: "And you encountered a butler there?"
: "Yes."
: "He was one of our best agents and compromised his position."
: "But, I didn't know..." Indy said.
: "I'm sorry, Doctor Jones, but if you do not do this little thing for us, then you will be arrested and tried for treason."
: Indy stroked his chin.
: "Where do I sign up?" he asked.
:
:Chapter 4

"Do you have to follow me around like a lost puppy?" Indy asked Cyrus.
"My orders are clear; make sure that you make your rendevous with Captain Russell and that you get on the plane." The agent changed direction. "There's the Captain, now."
Indy spotted an attractive brunette in a green army dress uniform. Cyrus approached and shook her hand.
"Agent Cyrus, it's good to see you again," the Captain said.
"Yes," he said,"And this would be Professor Jones."
"Please," Jones said,"my friends call me Indy."
"Yes," she said. "Shall we go, Professor Jones."
Indy swept an open palm out in front of himself. "After you," he said.

Indy sat in a window seat reading a month old issue of Life magazine. Captain Russell came down the aisle from the lavatory wearing civilian attire.
"You were right, Professor Jones," she said as she sat in the seat next to him,"I do feel better out of that uniform."
"I didn't mean it the way it sounded,"Indy said,"I just thought that with that uniform on, you stuck out like a sore thumb."
"Quite alright," the Captain said.
"And, please. Call me Indy."
"Let's get one thing straight, Professor," she said, capturing him in an accusing stare."I'm not your buddy, pal, or sweetheart. I'm a professional, and I expect to be treated as such."
Indy reclined his seat and pulled his fedora over his eyes. "I wouldn't have it any other way."
"Good," Russell said, "As long as we have an understanding."
"Understood."
The Captain spotted the magazine draped across Indy's lap. "I you might have spent you time reading looking over the packet of information we provided you with."
"Read it," Indy said from under his hat.
"And?"
"And there's not much there that's gonna help," Indy said. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to get some sleep.
"But,"
"Wake me when we get to Paris," Indy said, and turned his back to the Captain. In a moment he was snoring.

:

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]