Re: IndyGear and Wested Jackets...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Todd from 149.82.21.162 on July 19, 1999 at 08:15:06:

In Reply to: IndyGear and Wested Jackets... posted by Rob on July 18, 1999 at 16:21:58:

I cannot speak to the lining, but the hide vs. skin was an issue I discussed both with Peter and some of his employees.

The jackets made for Raiders and ToD were made from the nice shiny new lambskin. They were sent to the production company in brand new condition, and the property people distressed then by (lightly) beating them against brick walls, aging the seams with sandpaper, etc. Hide was used for the first time in LC - hence the "puffier" jacket. The jacket was still supplied in a somewhat new condition, though, with the property people still doing the distressing. Peter told me he never performed any of the distressing for the production jackets.

Peter explained to me that the dryer-pebble thing he does now is technology, if you will, that wasn't available when the movies were in production. He also told me that it just doesn't work in the lambskin. Only the hide responds really well to the treatment. From my own personal experience, though, it produces a great looking jacket. The puffiness does make my Raiders look a bit more like a LC jacket, but I don't think I could bring myself to take sandpaper to a Wested!

: Hi folks,

: I was asked by those at IndyGear to post an e-mail I wrote to them a short while back:

:
: > Howdy.
: >
: > I was reading up on the WESTED JACKET on your site and found something contrary to what Peter Botwright told me in an e-mail just today. My message and his reply are below:
: > >Hi there.
: > >
: > >I am very keen in ordering a RAIDERS JACKET (by this I mean a replica of the one worn in RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK) for my 21st. I just have a few questions:
: > >I was wondering what hide and lining was used in the origional jacket for the film? I would be ordering a jacket made from exactly the same materials as used in the film (you see, I'm an INDIANA JONES fan and particular to detail).
: > >I really appreciate your time in answering my questions. I think it's great that you're still making these jackets and I look forward to placing an official order with you soon!
: > >Cheers,
: > >Rob Davies
: > >---
: > >Dear Rob
: > >The original jacket and the jacket we make are not hise but a sift lambskin and the lining in the film was cotton silesia.
: > Anyhow, Peter mentions a cotton lining in the jacket and your website tells of a silk lining (http://www.indygear.com/faq.htm#jacket). Now I'm confused! Would you guys be able to clarify this...
: > Cheers,
: > Rob Davies
: > ---
: > P.S.: GREAT job on the website, by the way!

:
: Can anyone clarify whether or not the origional jacket had a silk or cotton lining?

: Feedback is appreciated (and will be posted at IndyGear).

: Cheers,

: Rob
: ---

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: