Re: DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET A CHEAP BUT AUTHENTIC INDY WHIP???

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by fORRESTALL from spider-pa062.proxy.aol.com on July 19, 1999 at 12:18:01:

In Reply to: Re: DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET A CHEAP BUT AUTHENTIC INDY WHIP??? posted by Todd on July 16, 1999 at 11:09:59:

: : : :
: : : : I REALLY NEED AN INDY WHIP THAT LOOKS GOOD.I WOULDENT BE USING IT
: : : : FOR CRAKING ETC ITS JUST TO HANG ON MY BELT OR HANG ON THE
: : : : WALL KINDA THING.
: : : :
: : : : ANY SUGGESTIONS?

: : : Unfortunately, anything that really looks like the real thing is going to cost you. The $100 whips out there are made from cowhide, and don't look anything like Indy's whip. They are generally American bullwhips with swivel handles made from rubber. Also, the fall and cracker are completely different from the Australian style David Morgan makes.

: : : The best you are going to do is $265. That will get you a 5 foot Indy style whip from Mark Allen (www.mark-allen.com)made from kangaroo hide. Coiled up it might be OK, though it might not look as full because of the shorter length. For $300 you can get the 8 foot, which looks fine.

: : : I've looked around quite a bit. For anything cheaper that looks right, you'll have to buy over the Web directly from Australia, and any savings will disappear when you find out how much duty you have to pay before you can take delivery.

: : : Good Luck!

: : The whips have braided handles, not rubber covered swivel handles,also the fall and cracker are Aussie style. An 11 ft. one is $99.95. E-mail Nat at: natt66@home.com Forrestall

: Thats good to hear! As I've said, I've looked around quite a bit, and haven't seen ANYTHING for $99 that didn't have the black rubber handle.

: I'll stick with the opinion, however, that braided cowhide does not look ANYTHING like braided kangaroo.

: Just my opinion...

Todd, I agree about the look, however, Nat's whips handle well, they do have braided handles, and don't cost $350.00 and up! Forrestall

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]