Re: Another Indy gun theory...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on July 19, 1999 at 14:16:54:

In Reply to: Re: Another Indy gun theory... posted by Anejo Joe on July 11, 1999 at 12:24:49:

: : I asked earlier whether Indy used one gun during the barfight in Nepal in "Raiders" or two. There is a shot where it looks like they show Indy fumbling around for a second pistol but it doesn't look to me like proof positive. He could be fumbling for some more ammo or something else. I'd like to make another point about my theory that Indy carried only one gun.
: : I think we can all agree that if Indy had two guns in Nepal then it stands to reason that he had two guns the rest of the time. Yet he clearly has only one gun during the fight by the Flying Wing. Remember Indy tries to grab his revolver which has fallen to the ground. He can't reach it because the wheel rolls over it and the big German is always in his way. Why doesn't he just pull out the semi automatic? It isn't because of a sense of fair play on Indy's part since we saw him earlier shoot the Arab swordsman and we see him try to get his gun to shoot the big German. It isn't because he doesn't have time to fumble around for it since we see Indy climb on top of the plane in midfight to try and get Marion out. The only logical reason Indy doesn't pull a second gun out to kill the big German is that he has only one gun to begin with.
: : Later on the Bantu Wind we see Indy with a semi automatic but I think I have a logical explanation for this also.
: : I think the whole gun issue is a problem for the propmaster. The prop person on "Raiders" was a woman. I don't want to sound sexist but I think she just figured a gun is a gun is a gun. So she just used whatever pistol worked best for the scene. When they needed a close-up shot they used the revolver because it looked better. However, the revolver wouldn't work for the scene on the boat because they needed a gun that would wake up Marion. The sound of Indy putting bullets in a revolver would be too quiet whereas the sound of a semi automatic slide being pulled back would make a loud click.

: : In 1981, they had no way of knowing that we would still be dissecting these films all these years later. There was no internet and I don't think we even had home video yet so switching guns was probably something they thought very few people would notice.

: : Just a theory...

: ----------------------------
: There were definitely two pistols used by Indy in the bar fight in Nepal, a revolver and a semi-automatic, although there has been some speculation as to the particular models of each. He is always shown wearing the revolver in a flap holster. There is a different brand of revolver used in each of the three movies, but only in Raiders is Indy shown using a semi-auto. He is never shown wearing it. It has been theorized that he carried it in his bag, although in the bar in Nepal, I don't believe he had the bag with him. Your theory is very interesting, and could be the best one. Most movie makers try to be more accurate about that sort of thing these days, and even hire people to research props for correctness. The audiences are better educated now, and demand accuracy. The days are gone when John Wayne could use an 1973 Colt before the Civil War.

And John's could fire 14-17 rounds out of a 6 shooter without reloading too! (You mean't 1873 Colt, right?) Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]