Pre-distressed jackets are entirely different!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Abner from user-2ive92s.dialup.mindspring.com on July 19, 1999 at 15:43:03:

In Reply to: Re: Wested durability, and a cry for help... posted by Todd on July 19, 1999 at 15:20:03:

: : : Yikes!

: : : Everybody has an opposing opinion on the durability of the various materials that Wested fashions into Indy Jones jackets. I want a functioning Indy jacket, that I can wear out in public, or in the woods, or whataver, without worrying that it will be ripped to shreds if I brush up against a thorn bush, or put my back up against a tree. I want it to see some action, and I want it to last. But, I'm still as lost as when I started asking questions regarding the quality of the different variations of Westeds....

: : : Some say that lambskin is more durable than cowhide, yet extremely lightweight, while others say that it could be torn easily if you caught it on something relatively sharp or jagged, or just yanked on it hard enough.

: : : Others say that the cowhide is much more durable, and that, given the choice, a real Indy would certainly choose it over lambskin...but that the cowhide is far too heavy, and that the cowhide jackets don't look enough like the jackets in the films.

: : : I have no idea what to make of all this! It seems that lambskin is either tougher than cowhide, or it isn't...but, all these opposing viewpoints on the materials are confusing as heck, and I still have no clue what I'm going to get for my $275! HEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLP!!!!

: : Confusing, ain't it? Don't despair on this confusion, as this "debate" has been bandied about for as long as the forum has been in existance. All I can tell you is that according to the information I've scared up here (we have two leather tanneries within 10 miles of where I'm sitting) the real difference between the two is the densitiy of the leather fiber. Lambskin is denser than cowhide as the younger the animal, the denser the skin. Hide is from an adult animal (once again according to my sources) and is much heavier, and in your given scenario would scratch terribly, and may even tear as well. The lambskin, on the other hand is much more tear resistant than the hide due to the density of the fiber, but is also much lighter due to the fact it is from a young animal. Now of course you can't just say that anything is made that will be absolutely bullet proof, but I have worn my Wested through thick and thin, and it has weathered the storms well. My cowhide jacket (now in my youngest daughter's possession) held up just as well, but showed scratches more readily than my Wested. It also completely depends on how you take care of the jacket between and during seasons. I have always faithfully used leather treatments on my jackets before storage and just before putting it back into use, and so have achieved literally decades of yoeman service from my leather jackets. I would highly recommend the Wested lambskin. It can be used much longer seasonwise, as it's weight it lighter, but with layering of clothing I used mine all winter (temps in the sub-zero range some days) with no problems what so ever. I can not say that for my cowhide jacket, as once it reached 55 degrees, off it came. My Wested went right up into the low 70's with no discomfort. I hope this adds more food for thought regarding your decision. Feel free to contact me off line if you want to kick this around any further. Regards. Michaelson

: I would agree that it can be very confusing! On scratches - Yes, I have experienced the same with my cowhide Coopers jacket. It does scratch easier. On the lambskin tearing more easily then cowhide, I would refer to my experience ordering award jackets for people who work for me. When requesting bids from embroidery shops, they flat-out refuse to even touch lambskin, saying that no matter how fine the embroidery equipment used, you end up with a big hole in the jacket. Cowhide, horsehide and goatskin are not a problem for them.

: I had thought goatskin would be a good alternative, but Peter will not use it. He says he cannot get consistant quality skins, and that it is realtively difficult to work with.

: The option I chose was to get two jackets - one Cooper cowhide (to abuse) and a Wested predistressed lamb (to cherish).

: If you can get only one right now, get the Wested in lamb and don't get dragged behind a truck. Also, stay away from stray nailheads.

Having owned both, I have found the pre-distressed Wested to made of an entirely different leather than the new leather versions. It is thicker and heavier, but the weathering process makes the finish much more prone to scratching and the color wears off over time. If Rob's post below is true, then the Last Crusade film jackets were made of lambhide not skin and the pre-distressed version must be this heavier hide. It would be nice if Wested offered the lambhide but in a new and unweathered condition. That might be an ideal compromise between toughness and authenticity.

Cheers.
Abner

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: