You're both right on the money!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ROB T. from 162.10.138.28 on July 19, 1999 at 23:27:16:

In Reply to: Re: George Lucas and Brett's Blade Runner analogy (caution: long rant) posted by The Man with the Hat on July 19, 1999 at 19:16:48:

I couldn't agree more with your analogy of George Lucas. I'm a huge Indy fan and a big "Star Wars" fan but I'm not as impressed with Lucas. He's trashed the "Star Wars" franchise and I fear what he'll do to Indy.
I've been very vocal in my disappointment with "Phantom Menace" so I won't go into what I think is wrong with it again here except to add that the midichlorian thing has ruined the Force for me.
The special editions of "Star Wars" were fun to watch but they were completely unnecessary and had many parts that not only didn't improve on the originals but were actually a step backward. For instance the hollow echoe added to the scene where Luke and Leia swing across the chasm and the change in the sound effect that made Leia's blaster sound like a gunshot at one point.
Don't even get me started on Greedo shooting first. The effect of that not only looked fake but I can't begin to understand Lucas' motivation for making that change. Han had every right to shoot first since he would have been killed otherwise. If lucas' intent was to make Han seem less ruthless I don't think he should've worried.
It also strikes me as odd that he would deem that scene as needing a change but would keep in the scene a few minutes earlier of Ben Kenobi hacking off the guys arm with his lightsaber. That scene has always struck me as out of character for a Jedi knight. Consider how Yoda would have reacted in the same circumstance.
Anyway, the change in title of "Raiders" doesn't seem like a big deal if you take it by itself but if you see it as part of a pattern of behavior for Lucas then it gets scary. Is he next going to take out the scene where Indy shoots the Arab swordsman? It's a lot more ruthless than Han shooting Greedo. Will he feel a need to juice up the effects when Belloq opens the Ark?
The only change in "Raiders" I would support would be to fix the flub in the height of Indy's staff of Ra and even that I've always been able to live with.
George Lucas strikes me as the Tim Allen of filmmakers. He's got all these tools at his disposal and he can't seem to stop playing with them. So he takes a perfectly good dishwasher apart and tries to add more power.
Well, "Raiders" has all the power it needs.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]