Re: Switching satchels

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan Borton from pm085-26.dialip.mich.net on April 28, 1998 at 23:55:39:

In Reply to: Re: Switching satchels posted by Max Schulte on April 28, 1998 at 10:09:43:

: : Watching Temple of Doom again, I noticed something I haven't seen mentioned on the group before. Although there's been plenty of talk recently about the straps and buckles on the satchel, there's been no apparent reference to the fact that the satchel itself is of a completely different design to those featured in the other two movies.

: : In addition to more seams on the front of the bag, the satchel has three circular, metal vents underneath, instead of two. My guess is that the original satchel was too small to contain the three sacred stones central to the film, and so they switched to a bigger bag which would accomodate them.

: : The ROLA and IJLC satchels are Mark 7 WW2 gas mask bags. Any idea if the TOD bag is a different model, or something created specially for the film?

: : Thanks,

: : Rod

: Rod, I already mentioned the three water drain holes before. You can
: see them very well during the bridge scene when Indy and Mola Ram
: fight over Indy's bag. However, earlier when Indy gets beaten up by
: the big "mine guy" the satchel seems to have two holes in it. I may
: be wrong but they probably used a modified version for the bridge.
: Perhaps they thought three holes would look better or the MkVI bag was
: really to small for the stones...

: Regards,

: -Max

Actually from the photos I have the bag in The Temple of Doom looks like a Mark VII Gas mask bag. I have heard that there were some variations in detail but they were essentially the same bag. Some bags were modified and rigged for special effect shots which could have made them look different though. BTW There is plenty of room in the bag for the 3 stones.

Dan

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]