Recent Indy theatre experience

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ...whiskey from user1.cablevision.com on July 21, 1999 at 01:55:50:

Hi all,
Just thought I'd share this with my fellow Indyfans:

About a year ago my buddy (and BIG TIME Sallah fan) Tony shows me the movie listings and points out a little theatre in Westbury LI. It was showing RAIDERS that night!
Plans were dropped, scheduals changed and within minutes we had grabbed my girlfriend (not litterally) and were off to the theatre.

The theatre itself was quite old...converted from a vaudville joint we later found out from the owner. We walked into the darkened lobby to find the owner/ticket-collector/projectionist seated behind an old desk hacking away at a typewriter from the 40's. He jumped up when he saw us, got us our tickets and made a fresh batch of popcorn for us. I hadn't realized how long it had been since I had fresh movie popcorn with REAL butter. Top that off with fresh squeezed lemonade and we were ready to go. It's funny, the owner (and his wife who worked the counter) took such pride in their little old theatre, the popcorn, the lemonade...there was a real feeling to it all.

The movie was, of course, excellent. I real pleasure to enjoy on the bigscreen again. Sure the print was a bit scratched and it even broke at one point, but it just made the whole thing all the more special. While we waited for the owner to fix the film we spoke with his wife about the theatre, the movies and, of course, the lemonade.

I can't stress what a remarkable experience this was...Tony and I still talk about it to this day. Usually when we pass where this little theatre used to be. Sadly it closed down not long after Raiders had run. It forces me to wonder whether or not this would be so special to us if it hadn't been Raiders. I think not.

Regards
Tom

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: