Re: Ahhh but....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan Borton from pm085-26.dialip.mich.net on April 29, 1998 at 00:25:15:

In Reply to: Re: Ahhh but.... posted by Greg on April 28, 1998 at 14:01:09:

: : : OK, so it wraps around easily yeah, but is it easy to shake loose, like

: : : in TOD when Indy swings over the lava pit down to get the stones. He just

: : : gives it a quick flick, and back it comes. Is it really like that, or

: : : is it hard to get it loose?

: : Very, VERY hard indeed...good observation. So many a time I've thrashed it against a branch or something, only to be left pulling, tugging, squirming that damn whip to loosen its grip.

: Don't tug or pull-simply give it some slack (notice when he lands on the other side of the lava pit, he gives the whip some slack and then a slight tug to "reel it in") It is not perfect everytime, but just as it stretches and contracts, you need to loosen it by extending your arm out a little and loosening it and then releasing it. I too have gotten it caught on branches (leaving me to climb if I want my whip back), posts, railings, etc., so it is not infallible, but if you are properly caring for a whip (keeping it lubricated with Pecard's or some other reccommended dressing), it should return to you most times, and remember that whips weren't designed PRIMARILY for swing and climbing, so this kind of strain and stretching will cause wear and tear on your whip.

Greg, you hit the nail on the head. In most cases the harder you pull the tighter the whip will hold. Just give it a little shake to loosen it up. Then give it a little jerk, It should slide off easily.

Dan

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]