Re: Paramount announces DVD support

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patrick Bauer from gtwy.southcom.mil on April 29, 1998 at 09:11:43:

In Reply to: Re: Paramount announces DVD support posted by Rob Roy on April 28, 1998 at 16:55:05:

: Don't you all think that if this DVD thing doesn't take off, we may never see next generation media better than VHS? I was thinking about buying a DVD player until I learned Paramount was holding my Indy's for hostage. Who cares if there are some flaws? It's important to move onward and upward when a great new technology presents itself, right? I remember Speilberg advocating letter boxing movies and stopping pan and scan techniques, so I hope he has a really good reason for snubbing DVD.

All I can say is that I was a professional fence sitter not wanting to jump at the technology too quickly. I waited for over a year and finally after seeing the list of available titles grow decided to take the plunge. I confess I did not know about Paramount prior to this however that seems to have now worked itself out. When I took home the player and plugged it in I have to say that my jaw dropped. I have a home theater and the sound separation was fantastic. It is like nothing I was ever able to achieve with a hifi VHS. The picture is stunningly clear as well. If Spielberg does not accept this as the perfect format for his films I am not sure how he could have ever justified their release on VHS. Spielberg is a rich and brillant man and I hope in my soul that his reluctance to release his films is not based on a grab for more cash.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]