Indiana Jones and the Scrolls of the Prophet (Chapter 9)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by The Man with the Hat from port131.maxc03.bignet.net on July 22, 1999 at 14:31:25:

Chapter 9

Captain Russell straightened the red wig on her head, then stepped from the train's lavatory. She walked down the aisle, picking up the hem of the nun's habit she wore as she walked.
She came to an empty seat, and sat in it, crossing her leg under the habit.
If I can just keep out of Dr. Jones sight until the train stops, she thought, I can make my escape.
She had recognized the German who had come to get Indy as one of the members of the separatist group that had been stabbing away at the Fatherland's resources almost from the time Germany had invaded France nearly a year and a half ago.
Russell was certain that the ex-Nazis would tell Jones who she really was, and when that happened, she wanted to be scarce.
All she had to do was wait.

Indy gave up his search for the overnight bag she had brought with her, and accepted that she was gone.
The conductor walked by Indy's compartment, and was startled when Indy grabbed him by the arm.
"Have you seen the woman I boarded with," Indy asked the conductor.
"No, sir," the conductor said."Perhaps she went to the dining car."
"Not likely," Indy said. "She took her bag with her."
"No offence, Sir," the conductor said, "but I've seen her eat. She's probably filling her bag with croissants this very minute."
Indy was in no mood for jokes. The conductor could see this on his face. "I'll keep an eye open for her."
"Thank you," Indy said.

The captain sat reading a magazine. The door between cars opened and Russell chanced a look.
Schreck's apprentice, whom she knew to be called Klempt, was walking right towards her. She turned back to her magazine, her eyes peering over its edge as the German walked on and out the opposite door.
Captain Russell rose and followed Klempt. She would at least settle this matter once and for all.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]