Indiana Jones And The Raiders Of The Lost Ark: Not just on the box!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by J from n098h127.remote.mun.ca on July 23, 1999 at 15:43:40:

First off, this is kind of a long message.

When the cover for the new video version of "Raiders..." said "Indiana And The Raiders Of The Lost Ark", I wasn't nearly as upset as some because I figured that it would only be on the box and it wouldn't actually be changed in the opening credits. I figured wrong. I just read on "Cinescape" that the title of the movie in the opening credits WILL be altered too! In a word: WHY??? If they wanted to put the words "Indiana Jones" in the title, so that people would recognize it as an "Indiana Jones" movie, they could have just left the change at the box cover (I actually would have been happy if "Indiana Jones In..." were above the title on the video).

This isn't like the title change that "Star Wars" had ("Episode IV: A New Hope" was most likely always in Lucas' mind but he just didn't include in case the other five movies never got made), or even like changes made to the "Star Wars Trilogy: Special Edition" which were mostly done to fix certain problems that were always there and to update dated special effects so that they wouldn't look ancient when compared to "The Phantom Menace" and the next two prequels (Sure. The "Greedo shoots first" thing and Luke's fake sounding scream in "Empire" were weird, but I can hardly look at the original "Invasion Of Hoth" scenes anymore without being shocked at how dated they look. Not so when I watch the "Special Edition").

When "Raiders..." came out, though, there was likely no mention of calling it "Indiana Jones And The...". Also, while it is true that I, along with most probably most people, commonly refer to it as "the first Indiana Jones movie" in general conversation, there is something about seeing the title "Raiders Of The Lost Ark" come up on the screen when you watch the movie itself. I just hope that when they add in the "Indiana Jones And..." in the same writing style as the rest of the title instead of having the red/orange "Indiana Jones" logo above the title. Don't get me wrong, I like the "IJ" logo, but it would look tacky on the white credits.

One last thing, if Spielberg and Lucas are going to change something in the "Indiana Jones" movie, why not get rid of the black lines that are visible in the bridge scene of "Temple Of Doom" or the plane scene in "Last Crusade"? That would be much more worthwhile.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]