Re: Stetsons and Herbert Johnson

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Cap'n Paul from 204.208.137.170 on April 30, 1998 at 13:39:07:

In Reply to: Stetsons and Herbert Johnson posted by Indy Magnoli on April 30, 1998 at 13:24:51:

: Ok... here's my take on the H.J. and Stetson Temple/Ark "debate". After going to Herbert Johnson and taking a look at all they had to offer I've made some conclusions about the Indy's hats. I'm sure it comes to no surprise to any of you that they had many hats during the films, and I believe different styles. The modified Poet from Herbert Johnson is without a doubt the Raiders hat. I believe that Stetson's Ark is modeled after this high crown hat. You'll notice in Temple of Doom, however, that the crown got a little shorter. After staring at all the hats offered by H.J., I believe that the McAlpine is the fedora used in Temple. This is the hat I decided to have modified (to the modified Poet specs) for myself. The felt on the McAlpine is a better quality, tougher felt better suited to the rigors of adventures. I believe that the aptly named Stetson "Temple" is the replica of this H.J. hat. So I suggest to stare at both films and decide which you prefer.

: Whether you're buying a Stetson or a H.J. I recommend buying some Petersham ribbon to put on it. It'll make a world of difference.

: Oh, as for the other Indy hats. I believe that Crusade was a return to the Poet but in the style of the McApline (Raiders has a much tighter pinch than Temple). And it looks like they went right back to the McApline for the Young Indy Chronicles.

: I tried talking to Richard Swales about all this while he was fixing my hat, but he doesn't seem to remember any details from those days. He tried selling me a modified Poet that was a choclate brown color claiming that's what he used originally. I smiled and asked him to modify that McAlpine, which he wonderfully did.

: Hope this helps... and sorry about the ramblings,
: Indy

: Interesting comments... Where does one obtain some of that Petersham ribbon? I have read previous postings in this forum which indicate it was not available. -CP

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]