Yes it is.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Adam from spider-ti033.proxy.aol.com on July 24, 1999 at 08:58:08:

In Reply to: Adam, your trivia is FU**ING IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!! posted by Charlie on July 23, 1999 at 23:32:32:

Dear Charlie,

Once again I feel as though I am in the delicate position between having to defend myselfand adding fuel to the fire. In your case, I will try to reply to your post in the best way possible.

When the last trivia contest came out, I was, in all honesty, disgusted by the attitudes of some of the players. NOT ALL, but some. People were complaining about how few prizes were offered, the sense of competition inflicted between Indyfans, etc. It was for that reason, above all, that I was hesitant to do the contest again and -- for the most part -- continue to regularly contribute to this forum like I used to.

Please allow me to reiterate several points:

1. The point of the contest is for FUN. It is not to provide potential winners with an ego trip of being able to know more than anyone else. I have always felt that if someone enjoys any of the Indy films, or simply admires the character and/or the spirit of adventure conveyed through the stories, that's enough. I also feel that those very reasons are what inspired Micah to create his web pages, and give us an outlet to discuss and exchange our ideas. This contest is not designed as a quota or a test, but simply as a means for enjoyment.

2. Much is said about the prizes. Naturally, when a game offers things to win, it goes from a game into, more or less, a contest. This is unfortunate, in that it can be taken the wrong way. And, unfortunately, it leads people to complain...and complain about the prizes again and again.

Guys, I am NOT a company. I am NOT a vendor of merchandise. And I am NOT rich, with Indy gifts piled up to my arms ready to give away. (I live, essentially, from paycheck to paycheck.) I just felt that offering a few things would increase interest in the contest, in Micah's page, and in Indiana Jones in general. Not only do I not gain from this in any way, but I LOSE (monetarily speaking). Please try to remember this before you blast me with complaints about the prizes.

3. Yes, it is true, this contest is very, very difficult. But it is NOT impossible -- all the answers can, in fact, be found somewhere. When they are finally revealed, you will see that I have even gone so far as to credit my source of information next to most of the answers.

4. If you were to create a contest, what do you think would be more pleasing to diehard players -- an easy one that anyone could solve, or something CHALLENGING? It took me a long time to create these questions, simply because it required my close examination of a lot of different sources. And KNOW THIS: AFTER finishing all the trivia, I scrolled through the questions Micah had posted...and could NOT remember all my answers. I WROTE THE BLOODY THING and still wouldn't be able to answer them all without my notes! The design is to come up with questions that are so out there, that a player must explore -- in great detail -- all the different resources...and maybe gain a greater appreciation of the character, remebering why this forum exists in the first place (other than relentless Adam Sandler and Star Wars topics).

I'll conclude by paraphrasing one critic's remarks to seeing RAIDERS for the first time: "You can't take it seriously, but no one is expecting you to. Just enjoy the movie for what it is -- one hell of a good time."

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]