Re: The Allan Quartermain and Romancing the Stone series

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson on December 01, 1997 at 14:54:58:

In Reply to: The Allan Quartermain and Romancing the Stone series posted by RikDuel on November 26, 1997 at 00:06:26:

: Did all of you guys see these films? I refer to King Solomon's Mines and Allan Quartermain and the Lost City of Gold, or whatever the name of the sequel was, with Richard Chamberlain and Sharon Stone, and Romancing the Stone and Jewel of the Nile. Do you guys see these films (which I consider as trying to have cashed in on the Indiana Jones phenomenon) as being cool movies, or as insulting knock-offs? Just wondering... I'm kind of torn myself. I loved Romancing the Stone when I saw it as a kid, but I was desperate for anything that even reminded me of Indy at that stage. I didn't see the Allan Quartermain stuff til much later, and it made me cringe in a big way.

Back at the time the movies came out, the producer of these two movies was asked on Entertainment Tonight that very question, were they leaning on the Indiana Jones venue, and his response was "Absolutely, how can you ignore that kind of success? We're not evening trying to take ourselves seriously, we're just having fun!" He made no bones that they were doing a tongue in cheek run at an "Indiana Jones" type movie series. Regards.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]