Chapters 28-29 of Tessa and The Stranger in the Plane

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Goodsport from adsl-216-102-199-185.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net on July 24, 1999 at 22:57:05:

: Chapter 28 [The Mystery Deepens] (written by Indiana Jerico)

: The room was dark. Only the lights of the various monitors and machines kept the room from total darkness. Electronic maps of the various parts of the world were seen around the room. Countless computers hummed, giving the room the encompassing feeling of official government hubbub. Various men and woman were either taking notes, or monitoring data, or working on computers. One thing, however, permeated the air: silence.
: Above the room, separated by a one-way tinted glass, a small office gave a panoramic view of the hubbub below. A man in his fifties stared out of the window, his piercing eyes taking everything that's happening. The man was dressed in an Army high-ranking official's uniform. The stars on his shoulder showed just how high. They were decorated with five silver stars.
: The room was sparsely furnished. In fact, the only furniture available were a large oak table with an official's swivel chair, another chair in front of it, a pen-holder with a gold fountain pen sticking out of it, and a stack of papers. The room's gray paint accentuated the dullness of the whole room. Beside the swivel chair is an emblem consisting of the Earth and the words "JUSTICE UNITY FREEDOM" written in a ribbon encircling it. A Phoenix rose majestically behind the earth.
: On the chair sat a man. His face was shadowed.
: "I can almost taste the tension in the air, Michaelson," the man said.
: "Don't worry Micah," Michaelson replied. "Our boys will get the job done."
: "They always have, haven't they?" Micah asked. "But now is different. They have no idea of what they were after. I must confess I don't know what's going on, either."
: "Only Nobody knows what he is up to," Michaelson replied. "But if there's anyone who can find it out, it's our boys."
: "I just hope you're right, Michaelson," Micah sighed. "I don't know why, but I've got a feeling this is going to be a strange case."

: - - -

: "So, where do we go from here?" Short Round asked. They were standing outside the hideout. Around them were grasses and roads of a typical Poland countryside. Indiana Jerico was leaning on the car, his black trenchcoat flapping in the cool breeze. Meg was sitting in the passenger seat of the car, resting her head on her hands. Aragorn was standing a ways off beside the car, his hands inside his pockets. Goodsport was leaning on the other side of the car. Indy was sipping a beer, crouching, resting on his heels. Indiana James was still sleeping at the back of the car.
: "Brett'll be here," Aragorn said.
: "So we wait for him?" Short Round asked. "When'll he be here?"
: "Soon," Aragorn replied. "A few minutes. An hour, at most."
: "But for how long'll we wait?" Goodsport groaned. "The sun is killing me."
: "Hey, look at it this way," Indy replied. "At least you'll get a good tan."
: Goodsport snorted.
: "What library is Brett researching?" Indiana Jerico asked Aragorn.
: "Walbrzych," Aragorn said. "I initially dropped him in the Warsaw Public Library in the city, but he phoned me to say he'll be taking a plane south. I think that's where he found the book that Tessa borrowed."
: "Lord of the Rings," Indiana Jerico said.
: "Yeah," Aragorn replied. "I still find it creepy how I blurted out Gandalf a while back."
: Indiana Jerico stood up. "You all wait here."
: "Where're you going?" Indy asked.
: "To the Public Library," Indiana Jerico said. "I'm going to see what else I can dig up."
: "There's still the problem with Indiana James' companion who got away," Aragorn said. "The Man with The Hat wants to trade us for Tessa with the two of them, remember?"
: "We'll just have to make plans for that later," Jerico said. "Right now, I need to see if there's anything in the library which can help us. Maybe Brett overlooked something before he went flying south."
: "We'll go with you!" Goodsport said.
: "I'll just stay here," Aragorn said. "I'll wait for Brett."
: "You do that," Indiana Jerico said as he opened the driver's door.
: "Wait!" Goodsport said. "You can't expect us all to just wait here and do nothing, can you???"
: Indiana Jerico paused. "You're right. Okay, you and Short Round go find a hotel. We'll need someplace to sleep and make plans for tomorrow's meeting with The Man with the Hat." He threw his cell phone to Goodsport, who deftly caught it.
: "What's this?!" Goodsport asked.
: "A phone," Jerico grinned. "We'll call you in case we want to contact you. Or call us. Our number's in the phone directory."
: "What about him?" Indy asked, jerking his thumb at the sleeping Indiana James.
: Jerico looked at the back seat. "Get him out and put him in the house. Brett'll want to see him when he arrives."
: Aragorn opened the back door and carried Indiana James into the house.
: "Wait!" Goodsport asked. "How'll we contact you?"
: "Do you have a phone?" Jerico asked Meg.
: "Yeah," Meg answered. "Why?"
: "Give it to me," Jerico replied.
: "No way!" Meg said stubbornly. "I'm coming with you."
: "They're not coming with me," Jerico answered. "What makes you think you can?"
: Meg looked at him and smiled, piercing his dark eyes with her green ones. Jerico looked at Goodsport.
: "Just call us at her phone. Give them the number, Meg."
: Meg grinned as she gave her number to Goodsport. "Now waitaminit here, Jerico...." Goodsport started.
: "C'mon, Goodsport!" Short Round shouted. "Leave them! I, for one, would like to sleep in a hotel's tub and sleep! C'mon! They wanna be alone, leave them alone!"
: Indiana Jerico glared at Short Round, who just grinned back at him. Short Round even winked.
: "Kids," Jerico muttered. He threw a card at Goodsport. American Express.
: "What am I s'pposed to do with this?" Goodsport asked.
: "Charge everything," Jerico said as he revved up the engine. "Don't worry about the expense. It's all covered."
: "Great!" Short Round exclaimed happily. He ran to where Goodsport was standing. "It's the restaurant, then the hotel!"
: Indiana Jerico put the red BMW to reverse and drove. When they were on the road, Jerico put the BMW to gear and started speeding down, to the city. From the side street, hidden by a tree, another car stepped into view and followed them.

: "How are you feeling?" Nobody asked, still looking out of the window. His ever-present cigar is in his fingers.
: "I fell down a building, jacked up with medicines and morphine, and my head still felt as if it's been pounded by a hammer," Deirdre replied. "Aside from that, I'm fine."
: "That's what I like about you, Deirdre," Nobody said. "You can take everything thrown against you."
: "Even bullets," Deirdre said. There's a faint trace of sarcasm in it.
: "Yes," Nobody replied. "Even bullets."
: "So, who was it who sniped at me, Sir?" Deirdre asked. "Micah and his operatives?"
: "It's not their style," Nobody answered.
: "Who, then?" Deirdre asked.
: "I have a feeling, Deirdre," Nobody said.
: "What, Sir?" Deirdre asked again.
: "There's a third player on the field."

: Their steps echoed in the library. Indiana Jerico, wearing all black, looked out of place among the white, almost cathedral-like, interior of the library. He still hasn't taken off his sunglasses. Meg, on the other hand, looked right in place, with her pinstriped skirt and white blouse. She deftly placed an intruding batch of dark-brown hair behind her ear.
: "Wow," Meg whispered. "Is this a library, or a church?"
: "Shhh," Jerico said. "Silence."
: Meg smirked at him.
: "So, exactly what are we looking for?" Meg asked.
: "I have no idea," Jerico answered. "But I'm pretty sure we'll know it when we see it."
: "I'll try here," Meg said.
: "You do that," Jerico answered. He walked to where a bespectacled lady was sitting. The librarian, by her looks. Indiana Jerico smiled and asked her in halting Polish where the fantasy section was. The lady smiled and pointed out a section. Indiana Jerico thanked her and gave her a wink. The lady blushed.
: The section the lady pointed was on the middle of the library. Indiana Jerico sneezed as dust seeped into his nose when he picked out an old book and leafed through it. The "AH-CHOO!" resounded. From a few tables away, three girls giggled. Indiana Jerico looked at them, and gave them a flirtatious smile. One of the girls winked. Then, remembering what he came here for, Indiana Jerico started looking at the titles.
: At the lowest rack, a book caught his attention. It was not so much as the age of the book that made him glance, but rather, the author. Written in faded gold-colored ink, the title was "The Untold History of the Earth. A Middle-earth Connection". The author was J.R.R. Tolkien. Resting on his heels, he crouched and picked out the book, inhaling another batch of dust and eliciting another "AH-CHOO" and another giggle. This time, he blew them a kiss as he leafed through the book and read a few lines. His smile faded. Then, he started looking for Meg, excitement written on his face.

: "I knew I should have gone with Goodpsort," Indy muttered.
: "Why didn't you?" Aragorn asked.
: "I guess it'd be better if I help you keep a watch on Indiana James." Indy answered. "Who knows when his companion might show up next."
: "So, what exactly is your story?" Aragorn asked.
: "Well," Indy replied, smoothing back his brown hair. "I graduated together with Meg on the academy. I was second; she was first. Anyway, we were approached by a distinguished gentleman. Military, by what I could deduce from his actions."
: "Michaelson?" Aragorn asked.
: "Heh," Indy smiled. "Right. I heard he was a five-star general when he retired."
: "Yeah," Aragorn said. "go on."
: "Anyway, he offered me a membership on this group," Indy said. "I accepted. I mean, your group's a legend on the academy!"
: "I'm sure everything's been exaggerated," Aragorn said modestly.
: "Anyway, I accepted the offer. It's only later when I found out that I'd be working with Meg again. Watching your backs was my first assignment."
: "And doing a mighty good job of it, too," Aragorn smiled, slapping his back.
: Suddenly, a shot rang out, followed instantaneously by a spray of dust a few feet away from them.
: "Cover!!!" Aragorn shouted. Instinctively, they fell on their stomach and scanned the general direction where the shot came from, their guns ready.
: "North!" Indy shouted. Aragorn nodded and looked. There, in the distance, hidden by a tree, a man was hiding. Another burst erupted, sending another spray of dusts.
: "Into the house, quick!!!" Aragorn said. He stood up and aimed his Magnum at the tree. The man flew back, dead. Almost immediately, another shot rang out. This time, it hit the side of the house, sending splinters of wood.
: Aragorn was shooting at the direction of the shot, backing at the same time to the house. Indy was already at the window, his mini-Uzi blaring.
: "Who're they???" Indy asked. "Nobody's goons?" A spray of bullets broke the window, sending shards in ever direction.
: "I don't know!" Aragorn said. He stood up and fired another shot and fell down again. "I doubt it. How'd they know we're here? It can't be The Man with The Hat!"
: "How about the person who gave him the info? He knew we have James and his companion!"
: "I dunno," Aragorn said, gritting his teeth as another shot was heard. "But we're in deep trouble!"

: Meg saw Jerico walking towards her, excitement in his face. He took off his sunglasses and sat in front of her.
: "I found something!" Jerico whispered excitedly.
: "Your face already told me that," Meg commented dryly.
: "Look at this!" Jerico said as he shoved the book to her. "Read it."
: Meg did. Her brow furrowed as she read the paragraph. It was well worn. It mentioned Théoden the King, his rule, and his kingdom. When she finished, she shoved the book back to Jerico.
: "So?"
: "So???" Jerico asked incredulously. "That's all you have to say??? So?!"
: "Shhh!" Meg reprimanded as the librarian looked at them. She smiled at her and looked back at Jerico. "Explain."
: Jerico sighed. He proceeded to explain.
: "Théoden the King was one of the most noble king of Rohan in Lord of the Rings."
: "I know the story," Meg said. "I've read about it when I was a kid."
: "Well," Jerico said. "The how about this." He started reading from the book. "'The treasure of Rohan is great, yes. But it has been said that there is one, greater treasure, that has been kept secret for many generations. This, as been told to me, is a secret so great that men would fight for it, and nations would fight nations for its knowledge. This is the secret of the Hidden land beyond the Sea. The land of those who have passed through Middle-earth. The Land of Valinor.'"
: "But..." Meg interrupted.
: "Wait, there is more," Jerico stopped her. "'The Land, however, cannot be found without the keys. For so long, men have wondered what these keys are. And this, also, I know. Theoden had the key hidden in the only place where men would dare overlook. A place so simple that it is in plain view, and yet, hidden. They fist key was hidden craftily by Theoden himself in the head of his Spear. The other key was given to Gandalf the White, of whom no-one has heard of then on.'"
: Jerico closed the book and smiled at Meg.
: "Uhm, we seem to be forgetting a little fact," Meg smiled back. "the Lord of the Rings is fiction. Written by Tolkien himself to his children."
: "And here," Jerico said. "Tolkien himself pledged this." He opened the book again, flipped a few pages, and then started to read.
: "'For so long, people have thought that the Lord of the Rings was a wonderful figment of my imagination, and they have marveled at my talent of making it sound so real. To this, I say this fact: it sounded so real, because it was real. The land of Middle-earth was Earth, in its long forgotten age. Science has dated the Earth based on the evidence that they have found, but what of those they haven't? The Earth holds mysteries that baffle our minds. The civilization that we know exists through the ages are but a small percentage of the actual number of civilizations that has existed ever since Earth was born. The myths of Elves and Dwarves and Dragons are so similar in every culture. But myths and legends, no matter how wild or fantastic, still hold a grain of truth in them. It is foolhardy for us to limit our imagination and knowledge to what is presented, and known, for so often, the greatest truths are often found in those that are unknown.'"
: This time, Meg didn't interrupt. She just stared at Jerico, in disbelief and amazement.
: "There you have it," Jerico said. "Straight from Tolkien himself."
: "Wow," was all Meg could say.
: "And this might clear up one thing," Jerico added.
: "What's that?" Meg asked.
: "The novel that Tessa made which caused our enemy to act the way they did," Jerico said. "I think I know what it is."
: Realization suddenly dawned on Meg. She gasped.
: "The Aztec Spear," she whispered. "It is Theoden's Spear. The first key!"

: -----

: Chapter 29 [In The Nick of Time] (written by Brett (Yasim) Lambert & Goodsport)

: The plane finally reached its destination. Brett Lambert, still mesmerized by what he just read in the "Lord of the Rings" book, got off the plane and began his search for his brother. He had to find him and make sure that he was OK.

: The ten surviving goons surronding the hiding place were inching their way closer despite the hail of bullets from Indy and Aragorn.
: "Damnit, I'm almost out of ammo!" screamed Indy.
: "Hold on!" Aragorn replied, "I'll pass you some of my clips!"
: The flash of light from the sky hit the surrounding area, hitting both sides by surprise.
: As Indy and Aragorn hurried back to their feet in anticipation for the goons' final push on their position, they instead found themselves all alone on the compound.
: They glanced at each other, each returning a shrug to the other.

: Brett closed the book after having read more of the text he knew didn't belong in the book. His thoughts then wondered back to his eventual destination.
: "Boy, what an original name, that Indy!" Brett thought to himself sarcastically, as he stepped off the plane.

: In his rental car, Brett followed Aragorn's directions to the house where Indy James was being held. He immediately spotted both Aragorn and a strange looking man who apparently called himself 'Indy' waiting outside the house.
: Brett approached Aragorn and Indy.
: "All right, Aragorn! What have you done to my brother?" Brett commanded.
: "Huh? That bastard is your brother?" Indy sneered.
: "Damn right, Indy" Brett responded. "Now, Aragorn, where is my brother?"
: "He's in the house locked up again." Aragorn responded.
: "Again?" Brett asked.
: "Yeah, he tried to escape but I shot the butterball with a tranquilizer dart," explained Aragorn.
: "Butterball? James isn't fat!" Brett said confused.
: "Nevermind that. It's an inside joke!" Aragorn explained. "Now let's go in the house, and I'll show you your traitor brother"
: "Fine!" Brett said. "But he's no traitor. He must have been forced to do evil things!"
: Brett, Aragorn, and Indy walked into the house and directed Brett to where he was being held. He was being held in a room down the corridor.
: "Jimbo!" yelled Brett with enthusiasm.
: "Brett" called back James in a subdued tone. He was experiencing the after effects of drowsiness when being hit with a tranquilizer dart.
: "I'm so glad to see you, James. I thought they-" Brett was interrupted as Short Round bursted through the door.
: "Hey guys!" yelled Short Round. "I'm sorry, Goodsport and I couldn't find a hotel room for us. They all had NO VACANCY signs and hookers in the lobby! It was scary!"
: "So where's Goodsport?" asked Aragorn.
: "He's still searching for a hotel---"
: Short Round stopped and noticed Brett.
: "Hey! Who's this guy?" Shorty asked referring to Brett.
: Before any answer could be given, Brett pulled out his big fat "Lord of the Rings" book out.
: "You bastard!!" yelled Brett as he threw the giant book at Short Round.
: "OWWWWWW!!! You idiot! You broke my nose! You broke my F***ing nose!!" Short Round exclaimed in extreme pain as he held his nose with his two hands and blood trickled out.
: Before Brett could do anymore to help his brother escape, Aragorn and Indy punched him in the face, and tied him up. They threw him in the cell with James.
: "That'll teach ya!" sneered Indy.
: The three soon left to help Short Round out.
: "Ahhh, how are we doing James?" asked Brett to strike up some conversation.
: "Same as always" replied James.
: "That bad huh?" said Brett.
: "Yep" answered James. "Man, us Lamberts have no luck at all!"
: "You said it James!"

: -----

Indy, we anxiously await your Chapter 30! :)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]