Illumination?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by sajnu from host-209-214-176-54.cae.bellsouth.net on July 25, 1999 at 11:06:19:

In Reply to: What on Earth is happening here??? posted by ROB T. on July 25, 1999 at 04:49:12:

Rob T. does have a point. I think it's cool that everyone is being given a chance to do something creative here, but I do miss all the posts that those involved with the novel used to write. It doesn't really bother me that the novel doesn't have anything to do with Indy, (I agree that laboring over details like his socks gets old), but it is hard to overlook that no other posts seemed to get answered anymore. I know that they're not being ignored, but they just get buried under Chapters that have to continually be re-posted to avoid being lost themselves. Personally, I wouldn't have any problem with the novels staying on this forum, as long as it doesn't interfere with, or seriously reduce, other posts. (But don't you think it's time to start over with a new forum novel?)

I understand how much fun you guys are having with this, and that it's not going to end your other posts indefinitely, or go on forever. But I keep wondering how many first-time visitors, (especially after the recent mention in that Sci-fi mag), might be turned away from this site, because it is, essentially, just an in-joke. In all fairness, I have even thought about writing a chapter or two myself. But honestly, I don't want to see the forum turn into one of those sites where it appears to only be a handful of people who trade inside jokes with each other. I know if I had just discovered this forum, I'm not so sure that I would return.

Have fun with it, but don't let it become the only topic.

: I know I risk getting flamed for this and some of you might even call for my expulsion from this forum but I have to say what's on my mind. The last few days especially this forum has turned into a very boring place to be. There's absolutely nothing going on here now except this forum novel which has nothing to do with Indiana Jones and seems to be more for the vanity of its various writers than for any attempt at creating something worth reading.
: There are lots of places on the web for amateur writers to post their missives and unfortunately most fiction on the web is pedestrian and dull. The various forum novels on this site seem to fall into that catagory as well.
: I used to be a little miffed that so many posts dealt with some item of Indy's wardrobe but at least those questions were legitimate and stayed within the forum criteria. This forum is supposed to be about the discussion of all things Indy.
: If most of these attempts at fiction writing were submitted to Micah for putting on the Fan Creation page I think he would find them too amateurish to warrant inclusion.
: I wouldn't mind the forum novels so much if they hadn't so overwhelmed this site and taken away the discussion of the things that the rest of us are interested in. I seriously doubt that this latest novel is being read by anyone except the various writers. It's effectively closed out those of us who aren't interested in reading it.
: I hope that you guys will bring this forum novel to a quick and merciful end and that we can move on to new business.
: I realize that anyone who dares to critisize the forum novel gets some variation on the sentiment, "Well, you don't have to read it." I agree and if some of you would post some other things for us to read then I wouldn't be complaining so much but so many people on this site seem to now have labeled themselves "Novelists" that they don't have time to discuss the niggling little details of the films and the legitimate novels.
: I hope we can get back to old ways of this forum so we can all feel included.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]