Re: Regarding the Fan Fiction controversy

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Forrestall from spider-pa063.proxy.aol.com on July 25, 1999 at 19:32:10:

In Reply to: Regarding the Fan Fiction controversy posted by Goodsport on July 25, 1999 at 15:55:33:

: DrHose,

: I somewhat sympathize with you, but therein lies the problem... there is no FAN FICTION part of the site similiar to the regular forum page where people can consistently add on to a story. The Fan Fiction section page basically has stories already submitted but can't be added on to (although the stories on that page are pretty cool... I'm not knocking them)!

: I do not in any way, shape or form apologize for having pushed the continuation of this forum novel (and am not going to stop doing so only because nobody or anyone else doesn't like them, although I doubt that they're actually reading it). Corresponding through e-mail is a good idea in theory, but the problem is that several writers would write the "next" chapter, and it would be a problem to determine who gets it (rather than already seeing the next chapter already written, and then following up).

: I do apologize, though, if the frequency and/or quantity of the novel postings have scared others away or have diminished the postings of other topics (although the other topics haven't completely stopped, as some may be thinking). Whoever said, "If you don't like it, don't click on it!" is absolutely correct (incredible how some people claimed that the story sucks, then in their next post claimed that they haven't and won't read it! Hmm...)! The problem here, instead, may be that perhaps the writers aren't contributing to post or answer non-forum novel related posts. I may certainly be guilty of that, but it may be that I have nothing new to add to an existing discussion. :(

: As for it not being Indy related: True to an extent. However, it has two elements that pertain to this forum. 1) It involves many of the fans of Indiana Jones and this forum, and 2) The last several chapters have kind of taken an Indy-ish turn in the search for an ancient city (similiar, in theme at least, to the LucasArts' PC game Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis?).

: Plus, to my knowledge, this forum novel is something that was never done before on this website... a story actually involvoing the writers of the story and participants of the forum. It was a refreshing break (at least I think so) from the constant messages regarding Indy's clothes, movie bloopers, rumors on the the plot of Indy IV, etc. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed (and still enjoy) reading about those discussions, but quite frankly, the same old ideas were being passed along back and forth (with the exception of the breaking news that the Indy widescreen tapes are coming in a few months... that's cool!). I simply thought of doing something different.

: Vain? Perhaps, but that's the nature of writing stories (I'm guessing here about that one... I'm not a professional writer, as you can tell. :) )!

: The nature of the way this forum page was constructed, it's the only place to post anything on any topic, forum novel or otherwise. Everyone has an equal right to post, as long as they behave themselves. If what Deirdre mentioned earlier was correct, though (about a separate forum page devoted to fan novel writing), then I would rejoice, since that would be the ideal solution! I would have to add to that suggestion, however: to add even another page devoted to those wanting to buy or sell new or used Indy props and such (yes, even the used Indy socks and jock straps several people actually want to obtain 8( ). Not only would that be fair, but would also allow this General Indyfan forum page to flow much better with discussion about the actual Indy movies, novels, Young Indy TV show, etc.

: Sorry about all this ranting, and I know I'm going to receive tons of flaming for it. The forum novel will not be stopping soon (although it may end sometime in the future, as stories eventually have to). As long as there is this one page to post messages on, though, I will try to post the forum novel's Chapter Logs "once in a while" (maybe once or twice a day, at most), as opposed to the extreme frequency I have been doing lately. The additions to the story will continue, though, and I encourage the forum novel writers to continue! :)

:
: -G

You should receive a commendation for original thinking! Hmmm! Was that the wrong film franchise? Forrestall

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]