My first, and only, take on this Forum Fanfic Mess.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Indiana Jerico from 208.162.27.27 on July 25, 1999 at 22:02:50:

Indyfans,

I have been in this Forum since its early days, and it's always bad when Indyfans fight each other over something in the Forum. Especially since I've always thought of us as a community. In fact, I was kinda proud to be a member of this group, seeing as how it was the only Forum I've attended to which has this real feeling of companionship and camaraderie.
Was
As of late, I've followed the arguements concerning the Fan Fiction we made. I admit that I am guilty of contrubuting some chapters. I made it in the sense of pure fun. In fact, my initial idea was to involve everyone in the Forum in it. I thought it would cement our closeness with each other more. I mean, after all, who wouldn't want to be in on a make-believe story-adventure? As kids, we have always participated in make-believe with out friends.
What happened, however, was the exact opposite.
Now, people have resorted to calling names and using expletives (albeit 'censored'). I won't mention names, as that would fuel the existing feud more. Truth to tell, this is the only time I can ever recall having this much expletives in the Forum before.
I can understand the sentiments of each side. To the fan fic writers, it's only a temporary release from all those talks about old issues that has been repeated, i.e., Fedoras, Westeds, Indy 4 scripts, etc. Incidentally, do you know why Indy Anna Jones left the Forum for good? She said that there's nothing new on the Forum anymore, except rumours about Indy 4 (this was way back). To the writers, the fanfic was just a take at something new. Someone was right, this hasn't been done before.
To the other side, this fanfic has been an unnecessary use of Posts which has overshadowed other 'more important things that are actually Indy-related'. Yes, I understand their sentiments too. Frankly, there are times when I feel quite apprehensive, thinking about what the other people would think when they see so many posts about the fanfic the authors (including me) were writing. They are right, in a way. It seemed that there's an excess of these kinds of posts. I understand that there are those who could care less about Forum Novels, much less, read them (heck, I'm one of them!). Fact of the matter is, the current fanfic is the only one I read, and that is because I'm in on it (vanity, as someone once said).

I'm also quite concerned on what this controversy has done on Tessa. As of late, I've noticed people calling her names and making hurtful remarks at her. Guys, she has nothing to do with this. She didn't start this. If there's anyone to blame, it's us.

Therefore, in an attempt to at least ease the tension, I, for my part, will cease posting anything about the fanfiction, until everything has been thoroughly discussed and an agreement made. The majority always wins. If the majority said that it would continue, okay. If they said that it has to stop, fine. If they said that we take this to another page, okay. I just don't think it'll be as good, or as exciting, now that we know what others think.

I am not taking sides (although I am guilty of helping add to all this mess). I only care for the Forum and it's well-being. I do not want any dissensions happening.
I hope this will all stop, and everything'll go back as before.

Till then.

---Indiana Jerico

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: