"Fanfic...Why did it have to be..Fanfic?!"

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by sajnu from host-209-214-176-49.cae.bellsouth.net on July 25, 1999 at 22:59:35:

In Reply to: My first, and only, take on this Forum Fanfic Mess. posted by Indiana Jerico on July 25, 1999 at 22:02:50:

I agree with Jericho and Meg and I think a few things contributed to this becoming a big deal:

1. It has nothing to do with Indy.

Period. Having read the entire novel, it is just an excuse to have a Lord of the Rings-inspired story for the members of the forum that like Tolkien. It's ridiculous to think that constant, massive postings that are off-topic would be accepted. Here, or at any other site.

2. The writers have gotten defensive when confronted with this, which only alienated the non-contributers.

3. IndyFan has always been a superior forum.

Jericho expressed this also. The one thing people constantly seem to mention is how surprised they are to find very little friction here. It's very rare that someone posts something negative. Like others, this is the only forum that I will spend time checking out. The other thing I have always liked about this site is that, (as Jericho also pointed out), there is the feeling of a larger group here. It's never really been like those sites where you have a few people who only seem interested in trading inside jokes with each other. However, now the forum novel is rapidly creating two camps.

4. Basically though, no one wants to take time to visit an Indy website to read something that isn't about Indy.

I hope a compromise is arrived at soon. I wouldn't want to see a good idea like a forum novel tossed aside just because it had inappropriate content. Maybe a certain day could be arranged for a forum novel, (like the on-going serials), and hopefully the writers will remember to keep it about Indy. (Would you really want to read a weekly serial about Spiderman on an Indy website?)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]