CHAPTER 1!!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mola Ram from 192.190.201.59 on May 01, 1998 at 08:38:36:

In Reply to: Re: The beginnings of a novel posted by Brisco on May 01, 1998 at 00:05:34:

Mountain Top 1940.

The mountain top explodes with lava. Indiana Jones stepped back from the model of his most
recent dig and asked his students,
"What did we learn from this experience?"

"Don't get too close to an erupting volcano?" chirped one of girls at the back of the room.

The room stifled fits of laughter as the Indiana Jones reached up and touched the rather
ridiculous bandage around his head.

"OK, OK, so maybe I did get a bit too curious", he grinned. "But don't you think it's
fascinating? The Aztecs believed that this eruption was a symbol of God's Anger. They would
attempt to regain their favour with numerous forms of human sacrifice. Including cutting the
hearts out from willing men and women, or by hurling human or animal sarifices into the volcano
quench the wrath of their sun god, Uitzilopochtli."

"I can't understand how they could have done that!" whispered one of the students, visibly shocked.

Indy paused for a moment, recalling his own vivid experience with human sacrifice, and shuddered.
If only they knew of the horrors that people still committed in the far corners of this earth.
Although, if there was one person who had deserved to be sacrificed, it was Willie. When they'd
eventually reached Delhi that time, he almost wished he'd let her roast! Pity they'd lost contact
though. He'd have to go check out her new show in New York sometime....

"Dr Jones?", one asked impatiently. "So, are you going to go back there?"

Indy's attention quickly returned to the subject.

"I hope so, except we need funding for the excavation, and since my....falling out with our last
sponsor, Mr Donovan, it looks like I could be waiting a long time." Indy said sadly.

"Well, if you do, give Utilo-whatshisname our regards!"

At that moment, the class bell rang it's familiar shrill tone, and almost immediately the class began to file
out of the room.

'Students', thought Indy, 'they always had someplace to get to.'

Except this time, he was not left alone completely. Drake Hawthorne stood waiting by the the window.
Drake was one of the few in his class who did in actual fact, take notice of his lectures. He was a strong
boy of eighteen, and would consistently speak out knowledgebly in class. His essays he submitted were always
thoroughly researched, with plenty of orginal thought. In fact, Indy considered, he was probably his
best student.

"Dr Jones, could I have a minute?", he asked.

"Sure Drake, what's on your mind?" Indy studied the boy, he was obviously deeply concerned about
something.

"I have a problem. It's my father, you know who he is don't you?"

Of Course Indy knew of him. He was one of the most prestigious historians in the country, his
writings had revolutionized theories on several cultures, and Indy had always suspected that Drake's background had
always been the main reason behind his study in archaeology. Indy could relate to that. His own father had always
pushed him into studying languages.

"Sure Drake, but if this is about your final grade for that piece on Celtic legend, don't worry, you did great."
Indy smiled.

"NO, IT'S NOT ABOUT NO ESSAY!" Drake exclaimed. "He's....he's dead."

Now this was a bit more than Indy had bargained for. A desperate plea to up a grade, sure, or a sly request to see
the new exam paper maybe, but this?

"How did it happen?" asked Indy calmly.

"He was shot Dr Jones. I'd rather not talk about it here, but he left a letter which I think you should take a look at.
The police said to turn over anything that might be of assistance in the investigation, but I believe this is quite possibly
the reason why he was killed. I returned home two days ago to find our home ransacked, and his body tied to a chair in the
study. He'd been tortured, Doctor Jones, but I had no clue as to why. My father is only an historian! That is, until I
checked behind one of the books in the library. He keeps old love letters from my mother there. And I discovered this."

Drake withdrew a small brown envelope from his pocket, and handed it to Indy. The first thing he noticed was the post mark,
'London, England'

Mountain Top 1940.

The mountain top explodes with lava. Indiana Jones stepped back from the model of his most
recent dig and asked his students,
"What did we learn from this experience?"

"Don't get too close to an erupting volcano?" chirped one of girls at the back of the room.

The room stifled fits of laughter as the Indiana Jones reached up and touched the rather
ridiculous bandage around his head.

"OK, OK, so maybe I did get a bit too curious", he grinned. "But don't you think it's
fascinating? The Aztecs believed that this eruption was a symbol of God's Anger. They would
attempt to regain their favour with numerous forms of human sacrifice. Including cutting the
hearts out from willing men and women, or by hurling human or animal sarifices into the volcano
quench the wrath of their sun god, Uitzilopochtli."

"I can't understand how they could have done that!" whispered one of the students, visibly shocked.

Indy paused for a moment, recalling his own vivid experience with human sacrifice, and shuddered.
If only they knew of the horrors that people still committed in the far corners of this earth.
Although, if there was one person who had deserved to be sacrificed, it was Willie. When they'd
eventually reached Delhi that time, he almost wished he'd let her roast! Pity they'd lost contact
though. He'd have to go check out her new show in New York sometime....

"Dr Jones?", one asked impatiently. "So, are you going to go back there?"

Indy's attention quickly returned to the subject.

"I hope so, except we need funding for the excavation, and since my....falling out with our last
sponsor, Mr Donovan, it looks like I could be waiting a long time." Indy said sadly.

"Well, if you do, give Utilo-whatshisname our regards!"

At that moment, the class bell rang it's familiar shrill tone, and almost immediately the class began to file
out of the room.

'Students', thought Indy, 'they always had someplace to get to.'

Except this time, he was not left alone completely. Drake Hawthorne stood waiting by the the window.
Drake was one of the few in his class who did in actual fact, take notice of his lectures. He was a strong
boy of eighteen, and would consistently speak out knowledgebly in class. His essays he submitted were always
thoroughly researched, with plenty of orginal thought. In fact, Indy considered, he was probably his
best student.

"Dr Jones, could I have a minute?", he asked.

"Sure Drake, what's on your mind?" Indy studied the boy, he was obviously deeply concerned about
something.

"I have a problem. It's my father, you know who he is don't you?"

Of Course Indy knew of him. He was one of the most prestigious historians in the country, his
writings had revolutionized theories on several cultures, and Indy had always suspected that Drake's background had
always been the main reason behind his study in archaeology. Indy could relate to that. His own father had always
pushed him into studying languages.

"Sure Drake, but if this is about your final grade for that piece on Celtic legend, don't worry, you did great."
Indy smiled.

"NO, IT'S NOT ABOUT NO ESSAY!" Drake exclaimed. "He's....he's dead."

Now this was a bit more than Indy had bargained for. A desperate plea to up a grade, sure, or a sly request to see
the new exam paper maybe, but this?

"How did it happen?" asked Indy calmly.

"He was shot Dr Jones. I'd rather not talk about it here, but he left a letter which I think you should take a look at.
The police said to turn over anything that might be of assistance in the investigation, but I believe this is quite possibly
the reason why he was killed. I returned home two days ago to find our home ransacked, and his body tied to a chair in the
study. He'd been tortured, Doctor Jones, but I had no clue as to why. My father is only an historian! That is, until I
checked behind one of the books in the library. He keeps old love letters from my mother there. And I discovered this."

Drake withdrew a small brown envelope from his pocket, and handed it to Indy. The first thing he noticed was the post mark,
'

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]