Re: Tapering Stetsons etc.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by red four from oak-ts1-h1-48-117.ispmodems.net on July 27, 1999 at 21:39:08:

In Reply to: Tapering Stetsons etc. posted by Steve on July 27, 1999 at 18:58:59:

: Just returned from the annual family vacation and noticed a discussion concerning Stetson hats. Sorry I missed that one, but I basically agree with the advice given. I owned a Temple and was really dissatisfied with the tapering crown. I ended up giving it away, but after reading Michaelsons post, I wished I had kept it. I really liked the dimensional cut brim and the color. As far as the Nostalgia is concerned, perhaps Stetson will offer a similiar hat, but one with a higher crown-like 5 1\2 inches. I have talked with Bobby Miller of Miller Hats some while back and voiced my opinion concerning a higher crowned fedora. I have also talked with Stetson several times and suggested that they manufacture a 5 1\2 inch crown hat in the fedora style. I am hoping that the new catalog will present one that fits this bill. For those who insist that the Nostalgia already sports a 5 1\2 inch open crown, I will refer you to their catalog. The Nostalgia is listed with a 5 inch open crown. I have just bought a scanner and if I can figure the contraption out, I will post a picture of a Nostalgia sitting beside my White repro. I like both hats, but Gary's is closer to Indy's hat. Also I was really impressed with the 4 pics of the HJ hat shown in Indy Gear. What a great looking hat! Wonder if this is their current offering? Steve

Hi Steve,

I just measured my Nostalgias and both have a 5 1/2 crown when the crown is open. After it is bashed it measures 5" to 5 1/4" at the edge of the bash or dent (measured on outside of hat from brim to edge of bash). Stetson must take the measurements from a shaped hat.

I do think that the hat is too short to be an exact match for Raiders. The movie hats have a very deep center dent that is hard to get on the Nostalgia. You can get a center dent, but it doesn't look as deep as the movie.

The Herbert Johnson must be quite a bit taller than the Stetson, I've compared mine many times, and it always looks a bit short. It does look more like the Temple hat than the Raiders hat, in terms of height. The bash can be made to look like the Raiders hat, however.

So once again I recommend the Nostalgia. And I'm hoping that Stetson will come out with a taller hat also. That little bit of height makes a hell of a difference.

Steve, what does your White repro measure? It seems like a great looking hat.

Thanks,
John D

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: