Re: A matter of opinion...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Greg from host-209-214-176-191.cae.bellsouth.net on July 28, 1999 at 11:07:36:

In Reply to: A matter of opinion... posted by ROB T. on July 28, 1999 at 04:27:42:

I agree that Raiders is probably the best, but it always surprises me when I hear fans say they don't really like the other two that much. Unlike the Star Wars series, I've never felt that it would be fair to compare them to the first, since the second two focus more on Indy himself. In a way, I almost think of them as spin-offs to Raiders, (although now with the title change...). Raiders was intended to be more like the old serials, keeping up the pace by taking a few liberties with the plot. I thought the sequels were a little different in that they spent more time with the plot and character development.

One thing I like about Temple is the opening sequence. It wasn't anything I was expecting after Raiders. Another thing is the choice of the Sankara Stones as the artifact. It would have been a little gimmicky if they had had Indy going after another Biblical artifact so soon after the Ark. This is also why I'm glad the Nazis weren't in the second one. It's surprising how many series use the same villians over and over. Indy in a jungle setting seemed more interesting than the deserts. I have no idea why, it just always seemed like a better match.

Temple also seemed to be a more personal quest for Indy. In Raiders there were so many other people involved, (hence the title). In Temple, however, he had to be more resourceful and really only had Shorty to help him. He was also allowed a different motivation than "Fortune and Glory" in the end. Since it the first, as Belloq pointed out, they were after similar causes. One last thing I like about it is its darker tone, which is rare for a Speilberg/Lucas film. I hope they include at least a little bit of this in Indy IV.

I think, ultimately, it's just a matter of personal opinion, as you said. I've found that no matter what the subject, you're always going to have "purists", who like the original best no matter what. It won't matter how good Indy IV is, it's not going to change their opinion.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]