The Grail speculation

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mikal C Johnson (KtE Cym SOCAE) from spider-tk012.proxy.aol.com on July 28, 1999 at 20:08:41:

In Reply to: Re:Our resident Grail scholar posted by Nick Kismet on July 28, 1999 at 13:17:58:

Actually, yes. The "cup of a carpenter" bit is a bit silly. It definitely would not be a jeweled gold chalice, but it also would not be a common vessel.
It would be a special cup used for Pesach (Passover), symbolizing the blood of the lamb. Blood in Rabbinical "language" is symbolized by silver. I'm stating this much more simplistic than it actually is, but essentially, it would likely be silver... like the Elijah cup.
Silver has a lot of symbolism; blood, redemption, healing... all of the things that Yeshua (Jesus) was all about.
Also, tradition says that the upper room the disciples observed the meal in belonged to Jesus uncle... one Joseph of Arimathea, a wealthy member of the "ruling class." That explains why he would have the Grail in the Arthurian/Glastonbury/Avalon tradition.
Interestingly, there are records of a wealthy Joseph from Arimathea who was a tin and lead merchant. Most of the tin and lead in the Roman Empire at the time came from the southern parts of a remote island called Brittania. Just to the southwest, shortly before entering Cornwall, is Glastonbury... my favorite town in the world. I'd love to live there... except when the festival is going on.
Anyway, I agree with you. It was a bit weak.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]