Re: A question for all those who remember 1981...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Goodsport from adsl-216-102-199-185.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net on July 29, 1999 at 06:38:46:

In Reply to: A question for all those who remember 1981... posted by ROB T. on July 29, 1999 at 04:29:12:

: I was responding to Thuggee Bear's post about the name change for "Raiders" and it got me thinking about something I wanted to ask all those who can remember "Raiders" in its original release.
: With the controversy regarding the name change I'm reminded of my original feeling for the title "Raiders of the Lost Ark." I was sixteen in 1981 and the only Ark I'd ever heard of was Noah's Ark. Indy might have asked if I'd ever been to Sunday school (and I had) but I don't remember any talk of the Ark of the Covenant when I was a kid.
: Anyway, I originally thought that the title of the film was stupid and had very little meaning. Even after I saw the film and was blown away by it I didn't like the title. It didn't sound adventuresome and I thought it might turn off some potential viewers with its seeming vagueness.
: My question to you is this. What did you think of the title "Raiders of the Lost Ark" the first time you heard it, before the film became a big hit and a movie phenomenon?

It's funny that you mention Noah's Ark. That's exactly what I thought the name of the film was referring to. Although I was almost ten when the film first came out, I still remember a really dim-witted kid in my class thinking that the first part of the title referred to his favorite football team (this was a year before the Oakland Raiders moved down to LA). :D

I was actually surprised when I later learned that it had nothing to do with Noah's Ark, although I only got the chance to see the movie a year later during its theatrical re-release. The rest, as they say, is history! :)

-G

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]