To Michaelson - My quest for the perfect fedora...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Adios Satipo from 149.82.21.162 on July 29, 1999 at 10:00:39:

Based on Michaelson's post regarding reshaping the taper of his Stetson hats, I took it to myself to see just how much I could push my Stetson Nostalgia. It actually has very good measurements - 5 1/4 crown in the front with the center dent, 3 inch brim in front, 2 7/8 on the sides - but because of my big head - 7 5/8 - the proportions didn't match the 7 1/4 Herbert Johnson hat.

I downloaded every picture I could find of the Herbert Johnson hat, sat down with my Nostalgia and a cup of hot water, a sponge and a towel, put LC in the VCR, and crossed my fingers that I wouldn't trash my hat! By the time Henry had been shot, the tips of my fingers were stained a mink color, and I had a dead-ringer for the HJ hat! Mind, I still need the Petersham ribbon, but other then that the proportions are perfect. The fur felt held up to some serious stretching, but came through just fine.

Specifically, I soaked the felt with hot water from a sponge. I then gradually stretched the felt carefully with my fingers in various ways, mindful of not wanting to tear it. After one session, I would brush the felt smooth with a towel, and let the felt rest for a few minutes before starting the process again.

Over a couple of hours I was able to add slightly more then 1/4 inch to the height of the crown. Using a small plate as a form, the crown has more parallel sides and less of a curve at the top. The brim was a bit more difficult, as I wanted to retain the snap. I was able, however, to put an additional 1/8 inch to the front and sides. These measurements were taken in the morning, after the felt had time to dry. When wet, they were roughly 1/8 inch more.

It never would have occurred to me to try this had it not been for Michaelson's post. Thanks for the inspiration!

Just thought I'd share...

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]