A Modern version of "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Abner from user-2ive9g2.dialup.mindspring.com on July 29, 1999 at 10:19:41:

In Reply to: Re: Did it again - Here's my reponse. posted by Micah on July 27, 1999 at 20:24:17:

:
: : Anyway, I hope you do realize that this is just hypothetical fun,

: Well, I did until you said you were quite serious. Sure it would be nice to know, but if the mythology is true, maybe the Ethiopians have a right to possess the Ark. In truth, if you tried to figure out who deserves the Ark, I don't think anyone on Earth is qualified to determine that.

: --Micah

I was serious in the sense that I wasn't just joking around- I was exploring the feasiblity for discussion's sake. Anyway, it's fun to explore the ethical dilemnas involved in such an operation. After all, what makes an activity like that so different from what Indy did? Is it because Indy tried to stop the Germans from taking over the world? If you think about it, he really didn't have any "right" to it either. He killed "bad guys" out of self defense and while trying to rescue Marion but killing was probably inevitable in undertaking such an operation. The killing was for self gain as well as nationalism. Was that O.K. just because the War Department said so? The US wasn't even at war with Germany at the time.

Thinking of this has made me think of a possiblity for the modern day "Tom Clancy" version of Raiders of the Lost Ark. In this story a rich Israeli businessman with right-wing sympathies and a vision for the rebuilding of Israel to its former biblical glory pays some expertly trained ex-Mossad agents and commandos to go to Ethiopia to investigate and retrieve the Ark.

Cheers,
Abner

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: