Re: A question for all those who remember 1981...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on July 29, 1999 at 11:05:46:

In Reply to: Re: A question for all those who remember 1981... posted by Thuggee Bear on July 29, 1999 at 10:30:45:

: I was younger, but I do remember being hesitant when I saw it for the first time. I can still remember looking at the poster thinking, "This looks too serious"!! How wrong can one be?

: In fact, I was so into the movie, I don't really remember watching it like I can remember other movies. I completely left reality for two hours and when I returned, well, actually, I never really did.

: PS. It's interesting to read the posts from those who don't remember the films when they first came out. I've noticed that they're almost all more favorable towards Temple and Crusade than those who remember Raiders when it first came out.

Different time, different things going on when the movies were out. In '81 we were just recovering from the Iranian hostage crisis. Reagan was new in office, and things were pretty dicey with the Soviets at that time. In every showing of Raiders I attended, there was a cheer (though "politically incorrect" now, being the warm and cuddly creatures we've become here in the US of A (grins)) from every crowd whenever Indy shot the swordsman, as that was the mood that prevailed in the US just after the hostages were released. We also had problems going on in Central America that had Reagan position a battleship just off the shore to keep the peace. I still have a great political cartoon from that period, showing the battleship just offshore of the country in question, a radio man sitting a small table saying, "Mr. President, we're in postion", and Reagan replying, "never mind, I'm going in alone!" He was wearing a Wested leather jacket, had a whip in hand, his pistol belt on, and was putting on a fedora on his head and walking out into the jungle. Priceless. 1981 was a darker period, not a whole lot of great memories to couple with Raiders other than the movie itself. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]