Re: A question for all those who remember 1981...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rik Duel from slgol53p33.ozemail.com.au on July 29, 1999 at 16:06:31:

In Reply to: A question for all those who remember 1981... posted by ROB T. on July 29, 1999 at 04:29:12:

Wow. 1981. I was 9 years old, and my parents took me and my 7-year-old brother across to the other side of Brisbane (Australia)to the Crystal Cinema at Windsor, because they had a special price of about $4 for a family of four.

I remember being very excited and engaged all the way through the film, and my dad freaking out and trying to cover my brother's and my eyes when the villains' heads melt/implode/explode at the end of the film.

I had no idea what the movie was about from the title, and hadn't really heard about it, and so I sat and learned through Indy's little exposition piece to the Government officials.

And being of the Star Wars Generation, I instantly started looking for Indy-related merchandise. I had my coveted Souvenir Programme, and this was soon followed by my Atari Cartridge, and the Buena Vista 33 1/3 RPM Book and Record. I never saw any of the action figures until one day this guy started showing me his Indy figure and I was just so unbelievably jealous, but try as I might, I never saw Raiders figures in any of the toy stores I frequented.

A couple years later my folks invested in one of those new-fangled video cassette recorders, and we were able to rent Raiders on tape. I must have watched it a dozen times over the weekend, and not only that but it featured a special preview for an all-new Indiana Jones Adventure - Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, coming soon to a theatre near you!

Raiders is just such a big part of my childhood. I have a sentimental attachment to the film, which is why, even though I've studied film at a university level and have watched many films from many great filmmakers, Raiders of the Lost Ark is still my favourite film of all time.

And my objections to the name change are all bound up in this. My reasons for hating the title change are all emotional. It hurts, but I can understand why they would do it, and I guess I can kind of forgive it. But I'm glad that I have a couple copies of Raiders, as is, on tape.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]