Re: A matter of opinion...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Shade from ABD5830E.ipt.aol.com on July 29, 1999 at 19:09:28:

In Reply to: Re: A matter of opinion... posted by Greg on July 28, 1999 at 11:07:36:

I would say that Last Crusade, which is still an awesome film, runs second to Raiders and Temple of Doom, which are just about neck-and-neck, in my book. I loved Raiders because it was a straight-out, kick-ass, fairly serious archaeological adventure film, that made me want to BE Indiana Jones; it has had more of an impact on me than any other movie I've seen. But there are things in Temple that make it just as worthy. I have to admit that, along with the Club Obi-Wan opening, one of my very favorite (and most cleverly written) scenes is that of Indy and Willie flirting, then bickering with one another outside their rooms. The musical montage that takes place is brilliant. That was the perfect blend of classical-style music and physical comedy, which you usually only see in Warner Brothers-type cartoons. Any time I watch Temple of Doom, I wind up rewinding it and watching it again, which I can't say for either of the other films, as great as their scenes may be. Last Crusade was great for me because I could identify with the father-son conflict, and I think that's what I take away from that one more than anything else. The element that was missing for me in that one, though, was that of Indy-the-globetrotter. Venice, and the desert, weren't my favorite settings. They weren't exotic enough, for me. If you look at Raiders, it had an incredible range of climates and terrains, and that appeals to me. I'm particularly fond of tropical settings, so the beginning of Raiders, and most of Temple really drew me in. As I said, Last Crusade was just a little too limited in terms of locations (note that the opening of the film is set in yet another desert). But, none of this even matters, because these (along with my other top favorites, 2001: A Space Odyssey and Blue Velvet) are the best movies I've ever experienced. I consider myself extremely lucky to have been developing at the same time that these movies came out.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]