Has anyone else been to Newgrange, in Ireland?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Shade from ABD582B2.ipt.aol.com on July 31, 1999 at 22:57:51:

I went to Ireland back in 1993, partly because I was attending two U2 shows in Dublin (I'm a HUGE U2 fan), and partly because I'd always wanted to go (in fact, I didn't want to come home!), and I had the opportunity to see some of the archaeological sites near Dublin. I saw Tara, Trim Castle, all that stuff, but the most amazing thing I've ever seen in my life was the passage tomb, Newgrange, which carbon-dating has show is at least 5,000 years old.

On the Newgrange tour, they take you inside the tomb, through a 75 ft passage into the heart of the structure, which is made up of a central 'room', and three cists. Being a big American guy, I had to bend over as we walked through, and the shoulders of my black army jacket were brushing across dozens of ancient carvings in the walls (this alarmed me a bit, as this kind of contact with the walls will wear those markings down). Once inside, the guide pointed out a smaller passage above the one we walked through, and explained that on the winter solstice, sunlight pours in through this passage, illuminating the interior, and she turned on a light that simulates the effect. It was like being in an Indy film! I couldn't believe how beautiful it was, and I was incredibly jealous of the people on the enormous waiting list to be inside the tomb on December 21st, which is about 8 years long!

Has anyone else been there? Or, anywhere else in Ireland? I'm dying to go back again, and take in the West -- Donegal, in particular....

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]