Re: Cooper vs. Wested

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on August 01, 1999 at 11:32:15:

In Reply to: Re: Cooper vs. Wested posted by California Jones on July 31, 1999 at 08:37:09:

: It is my understanding that Wested is the original designer and maker of the jackets for the movies. Cooper made a licensed reproduction to go along with the release of Last Crusade, but they did not make them for the movies, nor did they ever claim to. I believe I still have the bochure for the Cooper. I also believe Disney is selling the Cooper jacket today. I know they were two years ago, because I saw one in the Indy stor. I have had mine since Last Crusade. The Cooper is cowhide, very thick and durable. However, the aging process has made it fade to a shade far lighter than the real Indy jacket. Don't get me wrong, I love my Cooper Indy jacket, but it is not an exact replica. Go to the Wested website and also check out the Indygear website. The real Indy jacket is a thin durable lambskin with subtle differences in where buckles, pockets, etc were placed. I am waiting for my Wested right now. Regarding hot weather, my Cooper is just fine. The open sleeves and waist allow you to wear in anyting other than real hot weather. I live in San Francisco, and wear it all year long. It is my undersanding that the Wested is even better for hot weather due to it being a lighter leather. I want to stress that lighter does not mean weaker. Lambskin is a very durable leather. I hope this answers some of your questions.

Well, after the US Wings fiasco of several months ago, the story I got from the head of US Wings was that Wested was and is indeed the original maker of the jackets. After the first movie was such a success, LucasFilm contracted with Cooper to make a limited number of jackets for U.S. sales as a "feeler" to see how well they would sell here. Apparently because of the high price, they didn't go very well, and the line was dropped. The confusion several months ago occured when US Wings claimed that the jackets they had for sale, made by Cooper, were the one and only original jacket makers of the movie. When US Wings took us up (us being the forum members who contacted US Wings) and contacted Peter Botwright regarding the actual originator status, the real story came out. Cooper backed up and fessed up regarding the actual story, so if you want to look into the gray are, yes, Cooper does indeed have a claim to the jacket story, that being the one and only LucasFilm contracted maker of the jacket for the US sales, but not for being the originator of the jackets from the movies. There really shouldn't be a "vs" in the subject title. They both are a part of the Indiana Jones saga timeline. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]