Re: Indy as a literary hero

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ROB T. from 162.10.138.28 on August 03, 1999 at 02:59:38:

In Reply to: Indy as a literary hero posted by NIck Kismet on August 03, 1999 at 00:57:40:

The only Indy book I've read is the novelization of "Raiders" and I read that one ten times over the summer of 1981. I almost bought "IJ and the Hollow Earth" (I think that's the title) last week but I wanted to start with the MacGregor books and I haven't been able to find them.
I think there are aspects to Indiana Jones that make for a good print hero but he seems to work much better onscreen. Indy doesn't seem to have quite enough inner turmoil to make him a classic literary hero. However, adding too much personal conflict might take away from the adventure element so maybe that wouldn't work either.
One thing, I think we're more willing to suspend disbelief when we see something onscreen than we are in print. Probably because we see it happen in front of us it's easier to believe that something actually happened.
This makes it tougher (but not impossible) for a writer of the books because you have to be more careful that the details of the story make sense and still unfold in an exciting way.
The only trick I know for this (not that you asked for any advice) is that in action sequences the writer must stick to shorter sentences and not spend too much time on exposition or examining the hero's feelings. There's time for that after the action dies down.
But anyway, I do feel that Indy has the bare bones elements to make for a great literary hero for a writer with a certain flare.
Imagine what Hemingway might have done with Indy?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]