The Republic of Hatay

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by graml from mariner.org on August 04, 1999 at 06:21:57:

In Reply to: The World of Indiana Jones (Geography 101) posted by Nick Kismet on August 03, 1999 at 23:53:39:

: Many years ago I purchased the Indiana Jones RPG from TSR. Included with it (or one of the game packs that I later bought) was a foldable map of the world with the national borders that existed in the years (I assume)prior to World War II. I know that the globe looks very different today than it did then, and as a writer of period fiction, I think it's very important to know details about things like that. For example, many countries in Africa were created or changed their names during the 1950's & 60's. Indy would have known those countries by a different name.
: In Last Crusade, the Grail cave is somewhere in the Republic of Hatay. Is this totally fictitious or did it really exist? (I know that the exterior is the city of Petra in Jordan)
: To make a long story even longer, I have misplaced the map. I would really like to have a map of the world as it existed in the 30's and 40's for my website, or at the very least, a link to such a map. If anyone has this map, or a similar one, could you please either post it or attach it to an e-mail?

Hey. Yes, the "Republic" of Hatay did exist, and maybe it still does,
to some extent. It was a nominally independent part of Turkey, not
unlike Wales' role in the United Kingdom. I have no idea, however,
if the people of Turkey still recognize Hatay's autonomy. Just my two
cents.
-graml

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments: