"Truck? what truck?"

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Captain Katanga from nettle.uniface.nl on August 04, 1999 at 06:49:15:

I've noticed that indygear.com have updated their vehicles section and will soon be covering the Raiders truck.

does anyone have any info on the movie reproduction?

I've recently been building a diorama of the desert chase scene in 1:32 scale using a mix of Tamiya WWII afrika corps figures and different vehicles. I scratch built the Raiders truck using the chassis from a "deuce and a half" 2.5 ton american army truck and the cab and rear cargo body from a WWII mercedes german army truck. The cab was heavily modified to give the right "tall" look which the movie one has, the height of the covered rear section was also raised in line with the movie dimensions. the mercedes bonnet and grill from the kit are just right, it even has those outriggers seen on the ends of the front bumper. (scratch building the ark crate was the best part, trying to do a nazi eagle symbol and serial numbers in black fibre tip pen is no picnic!!)

does anyone know what the real truck chassis was based on? I suspect it was a deuce and a half. (and probably built somewhere obscure like an ex flying boat hanger in west Wales just like the full size Millenium Falcon!!:o)

ben

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]