Re: What's your favorite rumoured script?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Nick Kismet from 209.210.100.49 on August 04, 1999 at 11:43:28:

In Reply to: Re: What's your favorite rumoured script? posted by ROB T. on August 04, 1999 at 03:52:08:

: The only one of the rumoured scripts I've read (and I only read part of it) was the sons of darkness one and I wasn't impressed.
: I don't want them to bring back Marion or Willie or Dad or introduce Indy's kids and Dear God, no long lost brother.
: I don't want Sean Connery to return. I thought that whole Don't-call-me-Junior thing was pretty tired.
: Sallah would be great to see again but only if he's like the Sallah in "Raiders." They kinda dumbed him down for "Last Crusade." Not to the level that they screwed up Marcus but bad enough.
: I like the Nazis as villains but I want them to be menacing and dangerous like Toht was in "Raiders." I thought the Nazis in "Last Crusade" weren't scary enough.
: I don't know what relic I'd like to see Indy go after. It doesn't matter as much to me as whether they can do the characters right. I want to see Indy face a foe who is his equal and maybe even someone who is tougher and smarter than him. I liked the fact that in "Raiders" Belloq was as good as Indy at archeology and since we see him defeat Indy at the beginning we know that he's a worthy adversary.
: Keep that aspect and make the action mindblowing and be careful that the humor doesn't come at the expense of the characters dignity and I think we'd have a winner.

Geez, are you like my long lost twin?
I am in total agreement with almost everything you put up there. Especially the whole father/son thing. I hated that, and hated that Indiana wasn't his real name. It was the turn of the century for god's sake...people really did name their kids things like that.

Sorry, I digress...
I also have only read part of Sons of Darkness, and only heard the bare bones of Power of One. I agree that there is no place in the Indy lore for his love children to return. That is fine for weekly television drama (I guess what I mean is it happens in tv, but I hate it there too) but I don't want to have to shell out $8 to go watch Indy confront his past.
It has often been mentioned, but Indy is really just James Bond as an archaeologist. Can you imagine if the next six Bond movies were just about 007 having to own up to his licentious lifestyle? Meeting with all of the illegitimate children he has sired over the years?
(Actually, given the current state of the entertainment industry, I figure we will see that pretty soon.)
The only other rumored script, the Atlantis one, I know by name and concept only. Here's my take on that...
Raiders worked because it dealt with a single, mobile artifact in a contemporary setting.
If you try to set a movie in a mythical lost city, you must then devote a big chunk of the movie to that location. This is very limiting and requires a lot of contrivances to keep the action flowing...ie booby traps or (God forbid) a forgotten race that still lives there. You can get away with this for a while, but ultimately you come down to a point in the story where everything gets destroyed. Raiders worked because in the end, Indy won...he got the prize, even though it was taken away from him.
Now, I love Fate of Atlantis (the game) as much as the next person. But its been done.
Consider instead Temple of Doom. Even though the artifact was relatively obscure, and not extraordinarily powerful, the movie had a lot of potential.(I have no problem with the story, only the execution of certain scenes like the mine car chase, and the character of Willie Scott who was just irritating.) Like Rob said, what is really needed is a good villain. The Thuggees were pretty evil. The Nazis of Last Crusade were almost cartoonish, and the best action sequence in the movie involved not Nazis, but the Cruciform Sword guys.
A lot has been hinted about Indy and the Cold War. Though the whole "Red Menace" title sucks, using the Communist Soviets as bad guys is a really good idea. The Russians seized and hid away thousands of artifacts, many of them taken in the sacking of Berlin. It is rumored that the gold of Troy was taken from the German treasury and stashed in the Hermitage museum. Moreover, its not really a stretch to imagine communist agents trying to prevent the discovery of anything supernatural...this was key to the plot of Genesis Deluge.
I believe that the potential for IJ movies is unlimited, but only if they are executed well. There is no reason to limit the role to one actor (Harrison Ford) if another good actor can be cast to replace him. The worst enemy Indy faces is stagnation.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]