Just wanted to reiterate some points that Nick Kismet made earlier about Indy IV...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ROB T. from 162.10.138.28 on August 05, 1999 at 00:42:24:

Nick made some comments yesterday in a post on what's your favorite rumored script and I'd like to pinpoint a few of the things he touched on and add my two cents.
First, he said that "Raiders" worked because it dealt with a single, mobile artifact in a contemporary setting. I think the word mobile is very important. In all the Indy films he has gone after an artifact that can be moved from place to place. Part of the fun is seeing Indy get his hands on the prize only to have it stolen away. If Indy goes searching for a lost city then there's no prize to trade hands.
I really like the fact that Indy always wins and loses in the end. He finds the artifact he was after and defeats the villain but he still walks away with nothing.
If they make Indy IV about the search for Atlantis (which I don't think they will but I'm just saying) then there can only be two outcomes. Either Indy doesn't find the city or they have to explain why you and I can't go visit it in the 1990's. After all if Atlantis was discovered in the thirties or forties how can it still be lost now?
Second, it can't be emphasized enough how much Indy IV needs a strong villain. So far in the series the villains have gotten progressively weaker. Belloq and Toht and even Deitrich were wonderful. Belloq is cool, suave and very smart; as smart as Indy really. He also has a believeable motive, he wants to speak to God.
Toht is vicious and sadistic and creepy. He is equal in screen villainy to Darth Vader or any of those slimy guys that Peter Lorre used to play in the thirties.
Deitrich is somewhat cardboard but that is okay. He's just a jackboot who's following his Feuhrer's orders. But even he comes off as more menacing than the Nazis in "Last Crusade."

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]