Re: Question: How to live an Indy-type life...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ulla from 209.104.253.52 on August 06, 1999 at 09:20:31:

In Reply to: Question: How to live an Indy-type life...(Please respond) posted by ROB T. on August 06, 1999 at 02:15:34:

: As Indyfans, part of the thrill of these movies for us, I think, is vicariously living an adventurous life through Indy's adventures. Now in real life I have no desire to be shot at by Nazis or beat up by thugs but I think we'd all like some adventure in our lives.
: At 34 I'm already set on a certain pathway in life so this question is more for the benefit of the younger people on this forum. Lots of us are in our teens and haven't really decided what we want to do with our lives.
: Also there are a lot of more mature folks on this site so I'm asking this so the younger folks might benefit from some advice from the older folks.
: If someone asked you what they could do to have an adventurous life what road would you suggest?

: My own suggestions would fall into two catagories: philosophical and practical. On the philosophical side I would say to be bold and not afraid to make mistakes.
: On the practical side I might suggest joining the Peace Corps for a chance to see the world or the Coast Guard.
: I had a History teacher a few years ago for a nightschool American History class I took for fun (I'm a geek) He had spent thirty years in the Coast Guard and told us that he'd been all over the world on all seven continents, chased drug smugglers, rescued sailors in raging storms and had a very adventurous life.

: So what advice would you give? How does a person in this day and age carve out a more Indy-type life?

Some of these days I'm going to need a job, and have considered art. I sketch faces, photographs, heck. Even semi-copy the movie posters of Struzan and Amsel. But I don't want to sit on my duff my whole life with a pencil in my hand. I really want to be on an archaeological team, you know, one of those people who ever so carefully record and draw an artifact that was recently unearthed? Maybe I could meet the spirit of Roy Chapman Andrews at some Mayan dig in Tikal!!
Adventurously,
Ulla

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: