Re: Does anyone know what this might be?!?!?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by The Man with the Hat from port142.noc.bignet.net on August 07, 1999 at 20:50:16:

In Reply to: Does anyone know what this might be?!?!? posted by Jamison on August 07, 1999 at 18:47:44:

: Recently I was traveling through Atlanta, GA and my family stopped at an old antique shop. As I was unpatiently waiting for my family to get done shopping I discovered a strange box with a few strange looking old records inside. Upon closer inspection I found that they were not old records at all, but some sort of playable movie. Hmmm...

: I found the original Raiders of the Lost Ark in this format. It appears to be some sort of "disk" It is the same size as an old music record but is encased in plastic. It was made before the second Indy film was released because it contains a small advertisement for it in the lower right hand corner - "Coming Soon". It was 5 bucks so I bought it and brought it home.

: I tried to find some sort of information on this disk on the internet but I have failed in my search. The best way to describe this media is a computer diskette (it almost looks identical) but it is the size of a old music record. It has the original Raiders movie poster as the cover.

: Now-a-days I have a DVD player and sorely miss the trilogy on DVD. I wonder what this old media format is though. I feel like I have made an acient acheoligical discover. Any help would be truly appreciated.

: Thanks,
: Jamison

What you have there is the RCA CED videodisc format. This was a pre-laserdisc system and the only Indy movie released on it was "Raiders" plus the pair of "Making of..." specials, because the format went obsolete before "Temple of Doom" was released!! I have both of these in my collection and they're pretty cool to have if you're an Indy fan, even if you don't have a player. It's like having the soundtracks on 78 rpm records!!

Hope this helps,

The Man with the Hat

"Fortune and Glory, Kid. Fortune and Glory."

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: