Re: Japanese price vs. US price

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doktor Jones from fsict-tc6-19.fn.net on August 07, 1999 at 20:54:50:

In Reply to: Japanese price vs. US price posted by Jamison on August 07, 1999 at 19:31:35:

: there is a HUGE difference between the posted Japanese price for this doll and the US price posted at the toy synd. I would hate to say that the Toy Synd. is ripping off it's costomers but 36,000 yen doesn't even come close to equalling 350 US dollars.

Firstly, I'm not working for ToySyndicate. But a satisfied owner of the 12" Toys McCoy Indy doll.

One must consider the shipping cost involved. It is never cheap to ship items overseas - trust me, I know.. (especially items of that price ~US$310 based on current conversion. There is handling, taxes and insurance involed as well. Unless of course, you buy yourself an airline ticket to Japan, or perhaps you're lucky enough to be on holiday in Japan....) I'm sure people who import the toys for you wants a bit of profit from it as well (I don't blame them. As a business is always to make MONEY -period). You probably say that the company got it cheap. Yeah right... and you want to buy a 100 dolls for say maybe US$300 each in order to get the discount (DUH)???

: One other thing that you may want to keep in mind is that a "3000 limited first run" does not mean that they will not make more, it just means that they make 3000 and see how those sale.

Maybe.. But how would you know? Unless you are an employee of Toys McCoy. Those who pre-order it will definitely get it, and for that price. Since Indiana Jones stuff have high collectibility value, who knows? The Japanese may decide to increase their PRICES in the next shipment as they are collector's item (definitely).

I do know that the Japanese are very particular about shipping this figure out of Japan, as they only give priority to their Japanese customers because of the limited run (i.e. 3000 pieces). (Have you ever noticed how much Japanese customers are willing to pay for a used KENNER 12" Indy doll at Ebay auctions??) The "Toys McCoy" ones obtained in the U.S. are probably from Japanese associates of U.S. companies who bought the dolls for their U.S. counterparts. Otherwise it would have been quite impossible to get it at this price.

Also, I was told that the manufacturers ONLY ship 100 at a time overseas...so...again, it's distribution is quite limited.

Besides, there may be a possibility that 3000 is all they will ever produce. Either way, those who have bought theirs would be glad they did.. Those who changed their minds later will probably be getting them at ridiculous prices at Ebay, etc...

There are also bound to be variations between the first batch and second batches (if it so happened that they ever will release another batch). This is my experience from years and years of collecting figures and dolls. (take the current Star Wars for example!)

: I am not trying to take the steam out of anyones sail here, but be careful how you throw around that much cash. 36,000 yen isn't 350$ and the US doesn't charge that much of a tarriff on toys. If that was the case a Nintendo 64 would cost you 780$. Be careful.

I not saying that everyone should buy the doll, but if one is considering to buy it, they should think in terms of the above factors as well. Personally, as an Indy fan, I think its a fine purchase. For those who have pre-ordered and are waiting... it's worth the wait.

Doktor Jones
My 2 cents worth...

Soon.. You'll become a TRUE believer!!
(Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL: