Re: Solution Dan!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12_686.utsi.edu on May 07, 1998 at 11:23:15:

In Reply to: Re: Solution Dan! posted by Laurie Jensen on May 06, 1998 at 16:40:27:

: : : Hey Dan,
: : : I told Michaelson of the pear shaped dilema, here is what he had to say:

: : : "The original hat is creased front to back. You can reshape the pinch easily on a fur felt but heavily wetting the felt at the pinch, then rehaping to the shape you want. When you get that shape, set hat on it't crown, or hang from a hall tree and allow to dry naturally. Works every time! I didn't see your post. Thanks. Regards."

: : : I might try it later, but for now, I think the hat is just fine for my taste. Later Dan,

: : : Nick
: : I actually thought to try this on a pre-creased hat after a phone conversation with ol' IndyJonez. He asked why I couldn't recrease a precreased hat. I didn't have an answer, so I tried it on my old Broner, which looks EXACTLY like the Temple before reshaping. It worked perfectly after the wetting, then drying, taking the reshape and holding it to date. Sometimes just talking to others makes your head work to solutions. Regards. Michaelson

:
: I was also thinking about reshaping, but not the crown crease. Instead, I was thinking about the front pinch, which is too far apart on most of the Indy hat lookalikes. I don't see why you can't wet the hat and pinch the front to emulate the closer pinch from the films. BTW, David Morgan's page has a discussion on how to shape hats ( he sells a number of completely uncreased hats that you can custom shape yourself).

Well, let me toss another pointer I obtained from 3 other sources, including the Stetson Co. If you're shaping your brim, after wetting then allowing to dry, if you want to achieve that like new stiffness, take a piece of paper to shield the crown, then spray LIGHTLY with regular women's hair spray. The stiffness originally in the felt is laquer (sp?), as is the hair spray. This will give the felt that original feel after it's dry, and eliminate that floppy result from a lot of handling and wetting. DO NOT do this to the crown. Repeated spraying of the crown after a period of time will reduce it the the consistancy of a hard hat. Use the spray only on the brim, and only sparingly. Hope this is helpful. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]