I own a Wested, a Cooper, and a Disney...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Adios Satipo from gw.wizards.com on August 12, 1999 at 07:40:08:

In Reply to: Re: Question for Wested and Disney Jacket owners....(long-winded reply) posted by DeWayne on August 12, 1999 at 03:36:22:

: : I was wondering if the Disney jacket and the wested jacket can be worn in the rain? I know that some leather jackets get damaged in the rain and was wondering if it is OK for westeds and the Disney.

: : Thanks, Jack Shannon

: I have worn my Wested jacket in the pouring rain and it didn't seem to phase it at all! I just shook it off a little and thats it. I would be less likely to wear my Disney jacket if I thought it was going to get soaked. But I have worn it in the rain,and it was ok.Just as long I don't spend a lot of time in the rain like I can in the Wested. The leather of the Disney seems more absorbing.
: I read your post from 8/5. What does your Disney jacket look like?I got mine for Christmas '96 They have changed styles and used very different leather over the years.(I go to Disneyland at least twice a year,well,since '95 anyway,hehe).Do you have a Wested as well.I took a picture of my Wested next to my Disney jacket and emailed them to Indiana John. I don't know how to post them here,so hopefully he will.
: See ya! Capt. DeWayne Blumburtt

The Disney jacket was my first purchase (February 1999). After returning homw, I took it into a local leather care place. They told me I needed to have the jacket waterproofed, so I did.

When I received my Wested (predistressed lamb hide), I naturally thought I needed to get it treated as well. When I brought it in, they wouldn't take my money. I was told that the finish and overall quality of the leather used on the Disney jacket was marginal, and was more likely to spot and stain. They told me that the lamb would hold up with no problem, even if I decided to go swimming in it - no salt water or chlorine pools though! The only thing I needed to worry about was letting it dry naturally. If it did get REALLY soaked, they said it would be a good idea to put a conditioner on it once it did dry.

After my Cooper arrived (yea, I've bought a lot of jackets this year!) they gave me the same speach as the Wested. While the cowhide was not quite as good a quality as the lamb used for the Wested, it was still clearly superior to the Disney. Also, the finish/tanning method used would offer more protection then any waterproofing they could apply.

Another point on the new Disney jackets - they are not accurate to any of the jackets in the movies. They are cut oversized and have snaps on the cuffs. Also, the side straps are backwards. I understand the jackets sold prior to 1999 were much more accurate.

"Adios Satipo..."

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]