Re: The correct line is "Adios, Stupido.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Krede from vlb-210-116.ppp.uni2.dk on August 12, 1999 at 10:42:39:

In Reply to: Re: The correct line is "Adios, Satipo." NOT "Adios, Stupido." posted by red four on August 12, 1999 at 00:09:20:

: : This seems to come up a lot and people on this forum seem to think that Indy is calling Satipo Stupido. This is not correct and here's why.
: : First, you can't rely on closed captioning. That is done without the assistance of the director or screenwriter. The captionists just watch the movie and type what they think is being said. They just heard it wrong.
: : Second, I don't speak Spanish but the way I understand it, the word stupido is pronounced with the accent on the first syllable-- STUpido not stuPIdo. On paper the two words would look enough alike that someone might mistake on for the other but not when spoken. If Harrison had said "Stupido" there would be no doubt about it.
: : Third, the illustrated screenplay for "Raiders" gives the line as "Adios, Satipo." This is the only time in the movie that Satipo is called by name and it's easy to understand that Harrison Ford might have mispronounced it during the looping session and nobody caught it.
: : Fourth, when you listen to the video it is clear that Ford is not pronouncing a word that starts with 'st.' He clearly is saying 'sa.'
: : Last, this is just my opinion, but the line "Adios, Stupido" just doesn't fit with the scene. Indy was spooked when he saw Satipo and was in the middle of running for his life. He might have made a joke to cut the tension, maybe, but if he did there would have been some kind of flourish at the end like maybe a cocky little salute or something.

: : Anyway, it is obvious to me that "Adios, Sapito" was just a mispronunciation of the line "Adios, Satipo." A simple mistake on Harrison Ford's part. A minor film flub.

: My wife speaks spanish fluently (it was her first language) and she says that Sapito means "little frog" (or toad) in spanish. It makes sense to me that the characters name (or maybe nickname) could be something like frog. Or maybe Indy is making fun by calling him a little toad. She's never heard the word or name Satipo before. To me it's always sounded like "Adios, Sapito".

: I have a film flubs book that mentions this line. The "flub" part comes from the name being said differently from the spelling, and also from the character being called "Saripo" somewhere or another. I can't remember where, but when I find the book I'll post. The answer is on the tip of my tongue, but just won't come right now. Maybe someone else knows? :-)>

: Don't know what this means, but "Barranca" means cliff, or precipice.

: Adios,

: John D

Enough already!, I´ve always heard it as "stupido". Sapito is just a simple
henchman and cinematically speaking we do not need to know his name! it would make
no sense whatsoever! Spielberg is careful about such things, he wouln´t allow one single
line of dialogue to have no meaning. Stupido however makes sense. Indy calls him that because he
forgot about the spike trap, cynically he calls Sapito an idiot.

Krede

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]