My mom's thoughts on the Raiders name change

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brett (Yasim) Lambert from 209.5.179.12 on August 14, 1999 at 22:15:22:

I've discussed this with my mom about the name change of Raiders and the majority of the forum members' strong objection to this. Although, I would prefer they not do this but it's no big deal, she says it's better that they do this, not because of ease of finding it for Internet searches on amazon or something, she says it's good because people will always know that movie is an Indy movie. When my mom took out the movie for me at the library in 1993, I didn't know that Raiders was Indy. I thought they were all "Indiana Jones and the...". Anyways, she wasn't sure herself whether it was Indy, also. We finally looked on the back summary and it said Indiana Jones, so it was known for sure. I'm guessing that many people outside the Indyfan-dom would not necessarily think "Indy" everytime Raiders popped into their brains but perhaps a different film. Also, I remember talking about Raiders with fellow classmates in Grade 6 and they asked, "What is Raiders of the Lost Ark?" and I replied with it's Indiana Jones and then they immediately understood what movie I was talking about. So, I guess in that sense, it is good that they do this so it will always be known as Indy right-off-the-bat to just a casual observor. Also, another reason is my mom said that they are boys adventure movies and serials brought up to date with the modern audience and were not intended to be great works of art (Spielberg and Lucas did not set off to make the next "Citizen Kane" or "Casablanca", but Raiders is far closer to an art film than any of the 30s serials will ever be!) but as fun popcorn movies (and might I emphasize masterpieces of popcorn movies, light years away from most films out there today). That is my mom's 2 cents to this controversy, and maybe you can take that into consideration next time you cringe at the thought of the name change. What are your thoughts on my mom's points?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]