A good mistake...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ROB T. from 162.10.138.28 on August 17, 1999 at 01:35:44:

A few weeks ago I was watching my video copy of "Great Stunts and the Making of 'Raiders of the Lost Ark'" and wanted to comment on one aspect.
During the stunt in the Cairo bazaar where Indy shoots the truck driver and blows up the truck that has Marion inside. They rigged the truck with a section of telephone pole that would shoot out of a cannon and cause the truck to flip over. It had never been done before and they wanted the truck to flip end over end and explode in an exciting fireball. Things didn't go as planned and the heavy truck merely tipped over onto its side.
The stunt coordinator, Terry Leonard(?), wanted to do the stunt over but Spielberg said it was good enough.
I'm glad that the stunt didn't work as planned because the way it goes looks more realistic.
The act of Indy shooting a driver of a fairly-slow moving truck would never cause said truck to flip end over end. However, driving out of control up a small enbankment might cause a heavy truck to tip over and if that truck was filled with explosives then it's logical that the accident would cause it to blow up.
The mistake makes the scene look far more realistic and the loss of one flipping over truck is no real loss to this excellent movie.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]