Re: Oil it? I think Noel Howard did

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Colin from spider-wa081.proxy.aol.com on August 19, 1999 at 19:30:23:

In Reply to: Re: Oil it? I think Noel Howard did posted by red four on August 17, 1999 at 19:25:33:

: : : : : : Sorry it was such a long time coming...I finally got access to a slide scanner so the picture is now up!

: : : : : : Cheers,
: : : : : : Abner

: : : : : WOW! I've had my predistressed Raiders for about a year now, and its much, MUCH darker then yours. I suppose it could just be "luck of the draw" as far as the skins used in the jackets (I know Peter goes to great length to match the skins), but again, WOW. I can see why you went with the new finish on your second. I should be receiving my second jacket either today or tomorrow - LC with predistressed finish, cotton lining. I'll be curious to see how it looks. I've always thought that if I ever ordered a third, it would be an original Raiders with new finish and satin lining.

: : : :
: : : : Totally agree with Patterson as my distressed Raiders is much darker than this LC jacket. Saying that though, I saw a pre-distressed jacket in the Wested shop that was very light and this was also a LC version.
: : : : I have been told that some "hide foods" will darken a jacket a bit, and do the leather good...!

: : : : Tim (London)...

: : : That's dissappointing to think this jacket's color might have been a fluke. I wonder if the pre-distressed Raiders versions are all darker than the pre-distressed LC version? I'm going to try and get some mink oil or something to darken the leather a bit. For the next jacket I order, I think I'd like to get lambhide without the pre-distressing process, as I have heard that is what was used for the film. (LC)
: : : Cheers,
: : : Abner

: : I've used Vaseline as a dressing on my bullwhip, which I purchased through Mark Allen. It was considerably lighter then the David Morgan whips. The Vaseline is basically what Pecard dressing is, and it darkened the kangaroo nicely, giving it a weathered look. Dare I say trying it on the lamb? It certainly couldn't hurt the leather.

: : A note on the weathering/distressing of a new jacket: I used a slightly different method on my Cooper jacket. I took a brand new kitchen sponge - 3x5 no-name brand - and rubbed it over the entire jacket with an emphasis on the seams and edges. The dry sponge was just abrasive enough to take the surface color off without actually removing the leather.

: : Patterson

: I read these posts, and remembered reading somewhere that the movie jackets were distressed with (among other things) mink oil. Maybe they did this to re-darken a sandpapered spot?

: I know that when I oil my work boots, they get much darker in a hurry. Especially in roughed up areas.

: Thanks,

: John D

:Are the pre-distressed jackets crafted from a different type of hide than the jackets with the "new" finish? Also, does anyone know how much longer the cut of the ToD jacket is than the other two jackets?

:Thanks,

:CMB

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: