Series definately...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ROB T. from 162.10.138.28 on August 23, 1999 at 03:12:14:

In Reply to: Trilogy or series? posted by Nick Kismet on August 22, 1999 at 22:24:10:

: I see the word Trilogy thrown out here quite a bit with respect to the Indiana Jones movies.
: It's a word that first came into vogue after Lord of the Rings, the perfect and penultimate trilogy. It is my understanding that a trilogy refers to a story that is told in three (and only three) parts. The Star Wars saga is an example of a trilogy, actually two trilogies, since a complete story arc is told from episode 4 (A New Hope) to Episode 6 (Return of the Jedi) Episodes 1-3 are, as near as I can tell, similarly planned as a trilogy, though with a broader story.
: But it is my opinion that the word trilogy is being misused quite a bit. For example, the three Die Hard movies are being marketed as a trilogy, when in fact they are three distinct movies that stand on their own. This constitutes a series, in this case a series of three, but not a trilogy, or a story told in three installments.
: The same applies to the Indiana Jones movies. The three cinematic adventures do not form a trilogy, but a series. This is especially true as we anticipate the release of a fourth movie. It won't become a quadrology (or whatever word will inevitably be coined to describe it) but rather a series, numbering four, with hopefully more to come.
: This may sound nitpicky, but words like sequel, prequel and trilogy get overused until they cease to have any meaning. The beauty of the Indiana Jones world is that it has room for dozens of stories (A trilogy does not...for example, there is only so much room for imagination in the small time gaps between Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back, and ultimately, everything has to fall back in to place) Because Indy's world is so historically rich, we the fan fiction enthusiasts can dream up all kinds of adventures, knowing that each one stands on its own.

Rob T. here,
You're right that the Indy films do not make up a trilogy. A trilogy is more circular and has a certain arc. It tells one story devided into three chapters. "Phantom Menace" is chapter one of a second "Star Wars" trilogy telling a separate story of different characters than the ones focused on in the first trilogy.
The Indy films are a series and could continue for as long as there are interesting adventures to dramatize.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]