Re: "Indiana Jones and the Hollow Earth"-it shoulda taken place in a tropical area with vibrant costumes, and exotic birds, and mystical temples, and...I loved it!! (nm)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ulla from 209.104.253.123 on August 23, 1999 at 08:52:50:

In Reply to: My review of "Indiana Jones and the Hollow Earth" posted by ROB T. on August 22, 1999 at 21:27:36:

: I finished reading "IJ and the Hollow Earth" by Max McCoy a few days ago and I wanted to let you all know what I thought. There are spoilers in this post so if you haven't read the book and don't want to know the end, please stop reading.

: On the whole this wasn't a bad book. It had some interesting things about it but I wasn't completely enthralled.
: The villain, Reingold, was cool but he just disappears half-way through the book and doesn't come back til near the end. His death was a little too contrived; having the soldiers come out of the rock and kill all the Nazis and only the Nazis seemed a little too convenient for me. Although I thought it was great that Reingold ended up begging for death.
: I was glad to see Belloq again but I thought his appearence was only used as a lark. He didn't come off as true to character and I didn't like the way he cheated in the duel. I don't think Belloq would have done that. It's not that I think he has too much honor but I think he would've believed that he could beat Indy without cheating.
: I liked the woman, Ulla, except for the part where she refused to believe that Indy was Indiana Jones. That went on too long.
: I really liked Sparks. He was my favorite character in the book, except for Indy, of course.
: I also liked the sailor who joined in late in the book (I can't remember his name) but I didn't like the way the character was introduced. I don't like when writers put the heroes in grave danger and then save them at the last minute by adding a new character we've never seen before. Indy should have killed the polar bear himself and then met the sailor later.
: The whole search for the Hollow Earth was interesting but it took too long to get to it. They should have cut out the whole side trip to New Mexico.
: I'm glad I read the book and it was an enjoyable adventure but I think it could have been better. All in all, I'd give it a respectable C grade.
: It could have been much improved by having Reingold make a larger contribution to the story. He should have been a thorn in Indy's side all the way through. By letting Reingold disappear thinking that Indy is dead, McCoy takes away much of the element of danger. Reingold makes a good Indy villain and I would like to have seen more of him.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]