Re: Real life adventures

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Cap'n Paul from 204.208.137.170 on May 11, 1998 at 05:53:50:

In Reply to: Real life adventures posted by Lazy on May 09, 1998 at 07:25:54:

: Anybody ever have any real life adventures?,just wondering cause everybody must have a story to tell i have one but its boring,well it was cool,but boring i was thinking maybe one of you ppl had a better one to tell us all about

: Being a U.S. Army officer gives me a few good ones but I remember this one the best because it has a tie-in to Indiana Jones. This occurred during the Gulf War. It was the first morning of the ground assault and I and my NCO, SSG Guderian, were attached to the French 6th Light Armored Division to coordinate medevac requests for U.S. and French wounded. We were riding in our HMMWV pulling a trailer of radios and gear in a French convoy. Artillery, Apaches and French Gazelles had gone in already to pound targets and the Second Brigade of my parent unit the 82d Airborne Division had just seized the high escarpment overlooking our axis of advance. SSG Guderian had parachuted into Panama during Operation Just Cause only a year ago so he was pretty nonemotional about the whole thing. But for me, it was pretty damn exciting. All the months of waiting it out in Saudi's barren wastes were about to come to an end. As we moved across the border with the French, I could see destroyed bunkers and tanks on fire and wreckage all over the place. The vehicle in front of us had the French tri-color flying off its radio mast. As we crossed into Iraq, I was so excited I had a huge grin on my face and I started singing the Indiana Jones theme song out loud, "Da-da-da-daaaah, da-da-daaaaah....!" SSG Guderian just looked at me and started laughing. Of course later, as we were evacuating wounded from the attack on As-Salman, it wasn't funny anymore but at the time it was pure high adventure. -CP

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]