prop whip

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by D.Borton from piweba5y-ext.prodigy.com on August 24, 1999 at 14:30:22:

In Reply to: Re: A "weird" whip of mine (a prop actually that my dad uses-he's a drama teacher) posted by Ulla on August 23, 1999 at 20:29:42:

: Thank you so much for the info. on the whips! The whip that I am "borrowing" is about 8feet long, but has a "braided" (plaited?) style but with the colors WHITE and brown. The end doesn't taper :( like the accurate whips of Indy's (and his stuntmen's, and his stand in's), so I am wondering if I could cut it? That might be awfully hard so I might just let it be. Also, ...Whiskey? Can you tell me some good ways to "cover-up" or hide the whiteness? It's mostly the color (s) that are inaccurate, also the handle is a funky foot long! Ah.. well. "That'll do, pig. That'll do." (Wait a minute... where'd that line from "Babe" come from?)
: Adventurously,
: Ulla

Hi Ulla, Finding a fairly inexpensive whip is not too difficult. Try tack shops, leather goods shops, even novelty and gift shops will often times have them. The quality is going to vary and your probably not going to find anything great or even anything that closely resembles the Indy whip, but they are out there if you want them. While I normally recommend avoiding these cheaper whips, If you're just looking for a prop whip and you don't want the hassle of dealing with a "mail order" company or a whip maker that's probably your best way to go.

Now on to covering up that white leather on the whip you already own, If your not too concerned about the whip and depending on how the leather was prepared, you have a couple options. If the leather was not sealed with a lacquer you could try a wipe on leather dye or stain available at many leather/craft stores. Use it sparingly and make sure it will not bleed off onto fabric. Follow the directions on the package and use a sealer if needed. You could also try a little dark shoe polish, the wipe on/off leather shoe polish might darken it enough to give it a tan look and as Tom pointed out, you could always paint it. I do want to make it clear though, I certainly do not recommend using these techniques on high quality whips, or for that matter to any whip that you would want to keep in good condition.

I really would not bother trying to alter the taper on the braided whip itself, (if that's a problem) as it would probably be more trouble then its worth. However, if the whip has a flat and wide fall, you can carefully cut down it in order to make narrower, or replace it with a longer narrower one. Hope this helps.

Dan

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]